palm bay florida ?

icecream

my initial plan was to move to california but for the time being my friends said i could go down there to kick it for 6 months.

I've found nothing really but generic information on the city, the job market (much like ohio), seems terrible.

what kind of stuff is there to do there ?

from what i've read it seems the crime rate isn't that bad and rent is more reasonable there.

i'm mainly looking for stuff like good restaurants,bars,tattoo shops,record stores,book stores,venues,skate parks,art galleries,art schools,ect.

stuff of that nature

Im sure there are reasonable rent rates in suburban areas around bigger cities in florida.

I have never been a big fan of south florida, but i am sure you could find something similar for the same rent outside tampa or st pete which has alot more to offer as for shows, entertainment, dinning...

If you dont mind me asking, what are you looking to spend on rent? are you looking for any specific line of work while down here?

You don't really have to worry about crime anywhere in Florida aside from certain areas of the major cities. Pretty much all coastal cities are going to have a huge population of retires, which means that there usually isn't much going on for younger people. I would say a general rule of thumb is that rent is going to increase the closer you are to the beach, and the further south you get.

In my experience, the majority of 'punk/alternative' type people in that area of Florida are 16 year olds that love Attack! Attack! That's not to say there aren't niches with cool stuff going on.

Sarasota on the other coast is home to the Ringling art school. From what I gather from friends that live there, there is somewhat of a music scene happening, but it's mostly all folk/standard college rock type stuff. I'm sure there is a skate park around there somewhere. It's about a half hour from Tampa which has some neat stuff like Transitions Art Gallery for punk shows and the Dali museum, as well as a few record stores. The beaches around Sarasota are also fantastic. All that being said, I grew up about 45 minutes south of Sarasota, and would never move back home or to Sarasota because there isn't really enough going on.

My vote for the current most punk friendly city in Florida would be Tallahassee. In the past couple years there have been a ton of people really stepping it up in terms of getting music, venues, and other stuff like restaurants started.

In summary. I love Florida, but it's not really somewhere I would recommend moving if you are looking for a happening place. There is fun to be had, but I'm not sure it has the Cali beach vibe that it sounds like you are looking for. If you have more questions, I am happy to answer them.

Check into Clermont FL. I pay 500 for a 1 bedroom. The rent is about the same and your closer to Orlando, not to mention its about 15 minutes away from Disney and Universal. You get a bartending jobb there, your set.

I went to Doughnut King near Clermont last weekend and it ruled! Such a gem to be found there.

Small world. I was born and raised in Melbourne, the next town over from Palm Bay. My grandmother has a house there but she's in a retirement home. Spent 19 years there.

Palm Bay is the most populous city in Brevard County. And now with the space program nearly gone, I would say your best chance at a job would be in South Brevard.

There's another guy on the board from Melbourne. Perhaps he can offer some tips since he still lives there.

The wiki articles might give a little more in-depth info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Bay,_Florida

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brevard_County,_Florida

Feel free to ask anything random. My parents rent their old house in Melbourne on the river which is a very nice part of town and the rent is $500 for a three bedroom house. It's definitely cheaper than Metro Orlando area.

Sarasota is a little sleepy for me, but a cool place to visit. Probably similar to a st Augustine, FL.

I moved to a little town outside tampa (i work in downtown tampa and drive about 30 mins in rush hour traffic) and couldnt be happier with the location. Coming from jacksonville, all the music and comedy shows, sporting events, festivals, shopping... makes living here 100x better than in North Florida.

I know friends that have houses or apartments in cool places around here for that much, so its definitely doable.

I would suggest looking for younger pockets of towns outside of bigger cities. for example we are right down the street from Dunedin which is has small downtown area on the water, with good bars and restaurants (there are 2 local breweries, handful of bars within walking distance, and some good places to eat) and you are also 15-45 mins to just about any punk rock venue in town.

Just throwing out some info. Im not pushing you to move here, but Palm Bay just doesnt seem like a lot of fun / fit your lifestyle. However, i havent been down to that Boca area in several years, so i really have no idea what i am talking about.

Check into Clermont FL. I pay 500 for a 1 bedroom. The rent is about the same and your closer to Orlando, not to mention its about 15 minutes away from Disney and Universal. You get a bartending jobb there, your set.

I went to Doughnut King near Clermont last weekend and it ruled! Such a gem to be found there.

Heck yes it does! I live more south though near 192. I work at Marriott and Disney. If you wanna Bar tend, I'd get in with a resort company. Good Benefits, decent pay, great tips.

Just throwing out some info. Im not pushing you to move here, but Palm Bay just doesnt seem like a lot of fun / fit your lifestyle. However, i havent been down to that Boca area in several years, so i really have no idea what i am talking about.

Ha, yeah, Boca and Palm Bay are a couple hours apart. It's 135 miles.