Post a pic of your PC

[image]

[image]

I've popped a firewire card a friend gave me in since taking these right when I finished putting it together but otherwise yeah. Just a $450 or so build. I want a new GPU, more RAM, possibly a soundcard, one more blue LED fan to fill that gap in the top and sound reactive cathode lights then I'll be pretty happy with it. I'm not looking to make it a stupid expensive monstrosity of a gaming machine since it's mostly for design and music work. I'm already pretty happy with it looking like it's straight out of Dead Space lol.

I've been toying with the idea to finally custom build a PC once I get my house, since there is no room here for me to do so. I can't stand LEDs on cases though, I think it looks so tacky and it's distracting as hell if your PC is in your room. Since I've been getting more so into PC gaming, I'm going to do this soon for sure. It's been a long time since I did it though.

Be prepared this is lengthy....skim at your own risk.

Well I am trying to not start a new thread for pc related stuff and I will post a picture in here soon, but any advice on a build? This was posted in the d3 thread, I know a few of you must know about this stuff. Hopefully I will get more honest opinions here than 100 different opposing ideas and opinions on a computer forum.

------LONG DESCRIPTION------

So I have a question....I have been saying for years that I will finally upgrade to a new computer once d3 comes out.

I have decided to go the build route thus any basic suggestions you might have are appreciated. I went to fry's like a year ago to bite the bullet, but realized there were soooo many options and such I wanted to do more research. I am not spontaneous so actually making a decision and moving forward is difficult, especially with so many opinions, options, avenues, and constantly changing hardware.

What I have: a 7 year old sony viao desktop, a saitek keyboard, razr mouse, hd 23" monitor

What I bought: antec 900? (i think) case and some harddrive probably 750gb seagate/wd

What I would like: To be able to use photoshop to for basic film stuff (crop, rotate, resize, a filter or two, etc), surf the interwebz, play d3

I do not want to go overboard nor insanely complicated nor too expensive. I currently avoid using my computer and when have to, I use my iphone or work laptop. maybe budget around $1000ish. The less the better of course but i want to spend my money wisely and get some well made quality components that will overall last a while, at least in computer time.

------What I have in my cart to compare and look at------

1)ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

2)EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

3)CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC High Performance Power (not sure about the power supply, size I need, one to get etc)

4)ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

5)Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000

6)Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Total is around $930, plus I guess I will need to track down a copy of Windows 7. Have a friend in school still and he may be able to get me a copy for cheap.

PS: I can disable the LEDs if I want, correct?

Thanks a lot! That is really good to hear, because there are so many options I was/am really uncertain. Honestly kinda just did some research, read some reviews and tried going with the higher customer rated options.

Anyone else feel free to chime in if you see I may be missing something or going over/under kill in something. Gonna buy everything over the next week or so. Unless crazy sells come around it actually seems like newegg may be very competitive, price wise. Compared most of my cart to tiger direct and frys, didn't really check microcenter yet. When I say I do research I mean it. I can spend money like water sometimes but not before I decide what I want to buy for probably way too long, I can never just pull the trigger spontaneously because I will have regret.

Anyway thanks again!

Love your computer by the way. You have two MSI things are those your graphics cards plugged into your mobo?

Anyone else feel free to chime in if you see I may be missing something or going over/under kill in something.

Just chiming in from someone who uses Adobe products for a living. I recently needed a new PC ASAP cause my laptop was dying. I ended up getting the Intel i3 chip, second generation, 6gb of RAM. Adobe products run fine with the lower power i3. I don't play games on the PC though. Just design work, internet, streaming movies and TV.

My dad has some tube testers and they just seem like a pain. He has one you have to use a punch card system or some shit haha. I have noticed that most seem to have been used for the military.

Anyway kinda interesting. Actually he was using one last weekend or something cause he said he had a tube go out (or suspected one to have died) on his mcintosh amp(s).

kgry,

Thanks for the tip. I am tempted to carry over cs2 or whatever I have on my computer now that I pirated probably 4 or 5 years ago when I was in college. I do little to no pirating anymore cause I just didn't want to once graduating. Maybe once every 6 months, but anyway I may buy photoshop legit, I just cannot justify the price for what little/simple tasks I do with it.

Actually he was using one last weekend or something cause he said he had a tube go out (or suspected one to have died) on his mcintosh amp(s).

Your dad rules.

2)EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

3)CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 800W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC High Performance Power (not sure about the power supply, size I need, one to get etc)

4)ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

5)Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000

6)Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Total is around $930, plus I guess I will need to track down a copy of Windows 7. Have a friend in school still and he may be able to get me a copy for cheap.

Seems like a good build. I'd advise you get a normal sata HDD to go along side the SSD. I'd only use the SSD for your OS and programs, and keep stuff like music, movies, etc on the other drive. If you buy a case with LEDs you can just disconnect the wire, but if you get fans with them you can't.

Seems like a good build. I'd advise you get a normal sata HDD to go along side the SSD. I'd only use the SSD for your OS and programs, and keep stuff like music, movies, etc on the other drive. If you buy a case with LEDs you can just disconnect the wire, but if you get fans with them you can't.

Good call on the hhd. SSds can be expensive. I am getting one within the month. Running all my programs on it.

Thanks a lot! That is really good to hear, because there are so many options I was/am really uncertain. Honestly kinda just did some research, read some reviews and tried going with the higher customer rated options.

Anyone else feel free to chime in if you see I may be missing something or going over/under kill in something. Gonna buy everything over the next week or so. Unless crazy sells come around it actually seems like newegg may be very competitive, price wise. Compared most of my cart to tiger direct and frys, didn't really check microcenter yet. When I say I do research I mean it. I can spend money like water sometimes but not before I decide what I want to buy for probably way too long, I can never just pull the trigger spontaneously because I will have regret.

Anyway thanks again!

Love your computer by the way. You have two MSI things are those your graphics cards plugged into your mobo?

Yeah those are my Graphics cards. All together this computer was about $1600. I really don't need 2 cards considering I am not a gamer. I edit a lot of videos. And this sucker is fast.

Yeah I plan to have one SSD and one HHD. Will the 64gb be large enough for say windows, photoshop, and maybe diablo 3? That is the main two programs I plan to use other than firefox.

I figure all files, negatives, pictures, movies, music, etc etc can go on the HHD and I am not positive but I think I bought a 750gb one (maybe it was like black caviar or something...IDK I will look when I get home)

edit: ahh ok well that makes sense then. yeah i only plan on playing d3 and i do not need the most insane top of the line graphics nor will it need them (i imagine) so that should be fine for me.

will the 8gb of ram be enough? too bad it is way too over the top insane lol but frys is selling the same corsair ram (vengance) right now for like 24gb for $110, that is like double the price but 3x the memory. anyway 8gb should be enough right or should i maybe look to get 12gb or just not worry about that right now...