Paypal claim question

So on march 8th I sent some walking dead trade paperbacks with delivery confirmation. Now last week in the mail I got a letter saying the package got ripped open and the books were lost. I sent in the form with it and hopefully they can find them. But the buyer opened up a claim. I have the delivery confirmation number posted, but since he didnt receive the item will I have to refund the money even though I did everything in my power to make sure he got them?

call them. tell them what happened. they may say you didn't pack it well enough and it's your fault. they may give you the money back. what does USPS say? your fault for packaging? or they're fault for throwing shit?

Here's the funny part there, I had the books wrapped up in That brown paper and I was also going to throw it in one of those bubblewrap envelopes they sell at the post office an the lady there was like "you don't have to pay for that, just ship it like that"

So I took her word for it and look what happens.

What I don't get is how could they not find them if the package did infect rip open. I guarantee they're on some postal workers coffee table right now...