Record Label Collective

Hey VC,

If there's people out there like me who are trying to put out records from bands they love, do you ever think it would be easier to split certain costs on the essentials with other labels who need the same thing. Or ever wonder what its like in an area or scene you've never been in? Think it would be cheap to jointly hire a publicist between multiple labels on current campaigns?

I would really like to start building a network of record labels and other music business entities that can help eachother, give advice, a point of reference, help find and discusss resources, processes etc. as well as spliting materials other projects, helping build distribution, putting like bands on tour together etc.

I can't do this by myself though and I want to test the waters and see who's who out here.

Anyone down with this kind of idea? have ideas on it? is anyone doing something like this now?

I have experience with working with private/public groups on FB that seem to be effective in terms of easily sharing and updating on the go etc. Using this as a means to connect all of us. My real hope would be to find enough labels that all have their own unique input to the group, eg. someone has experience in publciity and offers advice and services or references to noobs at a reasonable price, or finding someone in another state that has good distribution relationships etc. This can also serve as a place to talk about strategies, innovations and changes in the marketplace, etc.

In terms of splits on services, releases, materials etc. I think this could be a HUGE advantage to the network,

as well as e-meeting tons of cool new people to talk biz with.

ehh something about this reeks.

Put out records, make friends, learn from your mistakes.

There doesn't have to be a Co-Op/Collective. That is just more dead weight that a record label (one man in his apartment) doesn't need.

As for an informal thing it is a great idea and most people probably implement it already. Trading stock, doing splits, getting advice.

appeciate the feedback

makes sense just fishing you know

we do that already in terms of the informal stuff just trying to i guess see if theres a wider reach and greater opportunities

but yeah thanks

Yeah I'm not against the results you are trying to get and it seems like your intentions are good, but a lot of people would be hesitant to put money into something they don't have full control over.

no secret groups are needed...if you have a question, ask another label.

No collective really needs to be formed...this is supposed to be a community, openly sharing info - certainly there's going to be some private info from time to time....but ask another label, do trades, become friends, hopefully meet in person, hopefully/eventually.

heres's the how to press a record resource guide I created...

http://undercomm.org/blog/?page_id=37