7" record not spinning

Hey guys, don't know if this is a rookie mistake or a common thing, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I just got a new 7" in the mail and when I went to spin it, the platter would spin but the record would stay stationary once the tone arm connected. I noticed just a slight warp in the record causing some of the record not to make contact with the slip mat, so I figure it's just a combination of not enough friction or weight to spin the record. Are there any easy fixes for this? Don't want to do anything that could potentially harm my records or turntable. Just for the info I'm using an Audio Technica at-lp60. Thanks in advance!

I'd guess the hole is too tight, creating too much friction.

I haven't had to in a long time, but I've done this with a few records. I have a pocket knife that comes to a nice point that I put through the hole and spin, wearing the hole larger. Don't be too aggressive because you don't want a monster huge hole, but some shavings will probably come off. That usually fixes it for me, but I think I've only had one 7" do that, the rest (3 or 4 records out of ~900+) were LPs.

If that doesn't work, invest in one of those weights people with fancy set-ups sometimes have, but those seem to be expensive.

I'd guess the hole is too tight, creating too much friction.

I haven't had to in a long time, but I've done this with a few records. I have a pocket knife that comes to a nice point that I put through the hole and spin, wearing the hole larger. Don't be too aggressive because you don't want a monster huge hole, but some shavings will probably come off. That usually fixes it for me, but I think I've only had one 7" do that, the rest (3 or 4 records out of ~900+) were LPs.

If that doesn't work, invest in one of those weights people with fancy set-ups sometimes have, but those seem to be expensive.

I double checked the hole and my turntable. I have some wiggle room with the hole as it is (I mean I can feel and see some room) and the metal piece you place the record on spins with the platter. The A side spins fine and the B side is the only side causing the problem, so I think it might come down to something like a weight to help it turn with the slipmat. Like I said there is a VERY slight warp that could be keeping some of the record off of the platter so maybe some kind of simple weight would do the trick.

Just did, made it worse. I have other 7"s that play fine and one side of this one does as well. I'm stumped

so its just one side that does it?

maybe its warped a little and its pushing down into the slipmat/platter too much which is what makes it stops

would make sense as the other side plays fine

idk

It is warped very slightly and I've manually placed the tone arm halfway through the side with the same results. I think it just comes down to the fact that not enough of the surface area of the record on that side is making contact with the platter. Therefore there is not enough friction to make the record spin. If I place my finger around the label and apply a little pressure it works fine so I guess I'll just have to make do with that one record. Thanks anyways guys!

I think it happened to a record of mine many years ago. First, my belt was too loose so maybe it did not have enough torque and the record was warped a bit but the thing I did was placing the aluminium center adapter on top of the record so it did like a little weight in the middle and it worked.