R. Stevie Moore Saturday Single Series

jared

People In A Position To Know are putting out clear lathe cut singles almost every Saturday. The preorder will only be available for 24 hours and once that time is up and the preorder will be taken down and however many orders there are, that's how many of these singles there will be.The fist one has just gone up this morning

http://piaptk.limitedrun.com/products/503548-r-stevies-saturday-singles-series-1

• 1 month later...

piatk is great, they make beautiful records with cool artists, forget that little mistake!

Didn't say dont buy a record you like, just realize that anything they say about something having extra value because it's limited, realize what they're saying is utter bullshit because they will press more if the demand exceeds the original supply. That is all.

Well I'll admit he did underestimate the amount in regards to the split with Ariel pink - I guess he figured he wasn't going to have to make much, but that exceeded expectation. These Saturday singles have only been in the numbers of 75 or so, so I don't see him repressing any of these. I'm also glad he repressed the Ariel pink split because I missed out on it the first time.

FYI, I called him out about it on Facebook and he got really pissy and acted like a total douche. I don't support guys like that and their livelyhood. Then he went out and lied again a 2nd time for a 3rd press.

Yeah I'd be pretty pissed too if a label did their best to meet demand. Now those Ariel Pink lathes are limited to like 150 copies, it really sucks for everyone who bought one.

The record got made into a news item by Pitchfork, which I'm sure he had no idea would happen. I'm sure he expected them to last a week at least. Plus a lot of copies got bought by flippers. So yeah, I'd be pissy too if I ran a label and someone "called me out" for making more records after selling out of the entire pressing in a day.

I get your implicit point, that he's banking on the limited run aspect of the releases to overcharge for them and sell them fast, but all of PIAPTK's lathe releases are hand cut one at a time, have letterpressed/handpainted/screened covers, and still cost only a few bucks (if anything) more than a mass-produced record. And you can get the MP3s for almost all the limited releases for super cheap. And he's stated numerous times that he loses money per unit on a lot of releases, it's clearly not a money-making operation to be cutting weirdo folk band songs into picnic plates and selling 50 of them for $6. You're not taking a principled stand against supporting anyone's "livelyhood", you're just being a whiner.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest deathbydrums

FYI, I called him out about it on Facebook and he got really pissy and acted like a total douche. I don't support guys like that and their livelyhood. Then he went out and lied again a 2nd time for a 3rd press.

He did this AGAIN?!?! I actually wanted to get in on this series but didn't because of his history with so-called "one time pressings". If you can't live up to your own hype, better quash that shit.

Edit: just re-read the thread and it doesn't look like he did that again.

He's stuck to his rule of one time pressings for these Saturday Singles and I'm curious to see how many folks end up having complete sets once the project wraps up. The first record was 75 copies or so and the third one had dropped down to 68 (I think the second one was 71 or 72), so it seems he's losing a few folks for each new installment and I'd imagine that not ALL of the people grabbing each new single have all of the ones that came before it, so I don't know, maybe a couple dozen people out there who will be owning all four to date? Not sure, but I've really been enjoying these - I plan on eventually dubbing them all to cassette so that eventually over time, I could fill an entire c90 (assuming he does, perhaps, 12 or more?)

• 2 weeks later...

The Stevie Series is going well....Thank you everyone for your interest. It's way too much work to keep up on a strict schedule (Letterpressing covers, cutting records, designing/printing/sticking labels, assembling, packing, mailing, etc). And Stevie is recording in LA right now, and can't send me the new tracks for the next couple weeks, so it might be around Thanksgiving for the next record.

Repetitious but Mandatory Troll Defense:

I will still stand by my decision on the Ariel Pink thing, and welcome anyone who cares to not purchase anything from me ever again.

Now, get over it. You sound like a 5th grade crybaby. Take your soccer ball and go home. I'm (not) sorry I devalued your overnight ebay flip in the interest of the actual fans who wanted to OWN it. All of that went down in the space of a week, and it's been out of print since a week after the first records were shipped. If you were really that broken up about it, you would have stood on principle and sold your copies back to me for purchase price including shipping. Which I offered, and you didn't take me up on.

It is very interesting how much emotional energy you still devote to this. Glad I could touch you on such a deep level.

I spend a ton of money and (more valuably) time making things and since I'm not actually seeing much profit on the label, I can at least have the satisfaction that I run the label in a way that I feel is right, and keeps it interesting to me.

I am 100% transparent in what I do. Sometimes things change, and if I can make an extra 50 people super stoked at the expense of 2 ebay speculating message board trolls, I think that's a pretty damn good trade. I don't want people who are buying my stuff exclusively because of it's rarity. If you don't want to own it, listen to it, and enjoy music as an artifact, then go somewhere else. Yes, it's rare, and that is part of the charm... but that is not ALL my records are... If that is the extent of your interest in an item, I'm not interested in selling to you.

The Stevie Series is going well....Thank you everyone for your interest. It's way too much work to keep up on a strict schedule (Letterpressing covers, cutting records, designing/printing/sticking labels, assembling, packing, mailing, etc). And Stevie is recording in LA right now, and can't send me the new tracks for the next couple weeks, so it might be around Thanksgiving for the next record.

Repetitious but Mandatory Troll Defense:

I will still stand by my decision on the Ariel Pink thing, and welcome anyone who cares to not purchase anything from me ever again.

Now, get over it. You sound like a 5th grade crybaby. Take your soccer ball and go home. I'm (not) sorry I devalued your overnight ebay flip in the interest of the actual fans who wanted to OWN it. All of that went down in the space of a week, and it's been out of print since a week after the first records were shipped. If you were really that broken up about it, you would have stood on principle and sold your copies back to me for purchase price including shipping. Which I offered, and you didn't take me up on.

It is very interesting how much emotional energy you still devote to this. Glad I could touch you on such a deep level.

I spend a ton of money and (more valuably) time making things and since I'm not actually seeing much profit on the label, I can at least have the satisfaction that I run the label in a way that I feel is right, and keeps it interesting to me.

I am 100% transparent in what I do. Sometimes things change, and if I can make an extra 50 people super stoked at the expense of 2 ebay speculating message board trolls, I think that's a pretty damn good trade. I don't want people who are buying my stuff exclusively because of it's rarity. If you don't want to own it, listen to it, and enjoy music as an artifact, then go somewhere else. Yes, it's rare, and that is part of the charm... but that is not ALL my records are... If that is the extent of your interest in an item, I'm not interested in selling to you.

You couldn't have said it better man. These crybabies that cry over "how limited something is" are just laughable. Don't get me wrong, a limited item is cool and all but what matters most is the music. I think what you did with the Ariel Pink/R. Stevie Moore single was awesome since so many people missed out on the first go.

Your reply above makes me that much happier to be loyal customer of yours (I'm Brian from Sacramento by the way). Thanks for continuing to do such an amazing job on the Moore singles series, I'm enjoying them immensely and will continue to buy each one you do. Thanks for keeping the price so reasonable as well considering the time and effort put into these.

Fuck it, when it's all said and done....you should repress the singles or press some box sets just to make the crybabies cry a little more about the "exclusivity" of them.

Hey Brian, thanks a lot for your patronage... repeat customers are really why I do this at all (that, and an all consuming addiction to making stuff). By the way, I'll be in SF the M/T/W before Thanksgiving if you happen to be in town for some reason and want to meet up...

I don't get out to SF all that often but if you're ever in Sacramento just let me know.