Moving - Relocation Help.

noodle

Hey all (specifically my Florida natives)!

I am considering moving. Currently residing in Chicago, but I've been here for 30 years and have had enough. I've had the opportunity to travel around the country for work the last few years and I believe I have found a location to live - Florida. Yes... I am sure many of you are grunting away thinking don't do it or why leave Chicago or many other reasons. It is time for a change for me. I am Chicago'd out. I have gone through divorce (3 years ago - blah blah blah - married young - college sweetheart) and I am done with my Master's degree come December (project management). Nothing holding me back after that... I am currently working in the insurance industry (corporate side - not sales) and have been there six years. I'd consider myself well [enough] established at this point.

So, moving forward.... I recently just got back from another visit to FL and I have extreme interest in moving to the Tampa area. I have family (not that it's a huge factor) in Daytona and Orlando, so that is assuring not leaving everybody.

I suggested to my boss that I would like to transfer. He was more than willing to work with me as much as possible. What is nice is that a higher up (2 levels) just transferred from my office to Orlando. Somewhat of an in. Never had a great working relationship with him due to different lines of business, but he did sit with me to see what I did as he was going to be a lead on my side of things, just in another office. That being said, I'd like to get the ball rolling before year's end.

Few questions...and opinions are welcome. Any expertise with moving hundreds of miles away would be great!

I've asked for the transfer. While that may take some time, would you ever consider going to a competitor in the same market as well? Even though I've requested my transfer (who knows how long it'd actually take to process and have a spot open up), would you apply for a job down there and try and land a gig there? I have no fear that I'd hook on somewhere with my credentials. Or, would you wait to see if the transfer goes through? Or, would you just quit everything together - move - then try to find a job down there? That of course has many factors... how long can I survive with savings, etc etc. I have no fear of doing that - I would be extremely motivated to find work ASAP. I was going to use my current employer as a crutch to get down there, then look for a new career path anyway (see: project management). Hell, I will even bartend while landing a gig.

I feel the move is going to happen - confidence in that. When moving, should I just go down there with clothes and the minimum to survive. I plan on renting down there at first (probably a two bedroom place - I have a 2 bedroom condo now) or would you bring couches, bed, etc etc?

I'll stop for now.. I appreciate any feedback. Questions - please ask!

there are pretty cheap places everywhere. i live about 20 min from orlando, and pay 500 for a one bedroom. the 2 bedrooms in my complex go from about 650, up to the good ones that can be over 1000. Its super easy to find a job here, just depends on what industry you really wanna work for. service industry jobs are a dime a dozen, which is what i do. working with computers and project management and such, youll probably find something easy. I actually am moving over to st. petersburg at the end of the month, which is also a cheaper option in some cases than going straight to tampa. its about 20 min away and a bit cheaper and way more city, which will ease you into the state. Tons of great stuff to do around there. If i were you though, use the crutch and get down here with a solid job first, then go crazy searching when you come. Jobs afre def all over, just dont be lazy. hope this helps a little

Definitely have something lined up before you make the venture down. Whether it's a transfer or you test out the water with competitors, job security is something to hold on to. Being willing, able and ready to work but not being able to find a position is no fun.

That being said, Orlando is great. Tons to do and a short trip from everything. Hope it works out!

I would absolutely start the application process first. A lot of companies will offer moving expenses or may have a corporate apartment to help with your relocation. Larger companies that are used to attracting talent can often help with your transition.

On that note, I don't know that I would wait for the transfer. Can't hurt to try a few other options out, especially if you are new to the local talent pool.

Start the transfer process, but also start looking for alternate opportunities down there first. DO NOT jump without having something lined up that can sustain you for a while..

If you have the time, and expense isn't an issue, I'd take everything down with you, just to be done with it. I just moved to Chicago with a pile of clothes and my laptop, while I wait for my house to sell and/or my wife to find a job up here. It would be nice to have had a little more money set aside that I could jump into an equivalently sized place up here, and get it ready for their arrival, but paying two mortgages just isn't in the cards right now.