Question for owners of White Pro-Ject turntables

I did it and shot video - you can check it out on my vinyl blog:

http://vinylanswer.tumblr.com/post/39916069547/last-week-i-got-an-acrylic-platter-for-my

Thanks! That was cool. I wonder if there's a way to attach the lights to the bottom of the platter so that the lights rotate?

I also wonder if there's such a thing that could illuminate the entire platter so that if you play a colored vinyl, the light that would shine through would reflect the color of the record.

Nevertheless, awesome video. Thanks again!

I'm sorry but I can't be the only person that thinks this is a little tacky. It looks so cheap to me. Whatever floats your boat I guess but definitely not my cup of tea.

I like the concept. I wish the entire platter lit up and  that it didn't look like Christmas lights. However, I understand how some people might like it.

Yeah, if it didn't take anything away from the sound, I don't see the big deal in flaming the idea.  Looks kind of neat to me and it's obviously a low risk investment financially.

I couldn't see it not adding buzz. Not to mention a loose piece of paper below the platter would just freak me out.

Edited to get rid of one hell of a fragment.

I couldn't see it not adding buzz. Not to mention a loose piece of paper below the platter would just freak me out.

Edited to get rid of one hell of a fragment.

I guess now would be as good a time as any to ask the couple of resident VCers who have indeed attempted this, how it hurts the sound, if any?

I'd never even consider attempting this if I ever thought this would degrade the sound of my TT even if was only in my imagination.

Hi -

"That guy" here. Thanks for checking out the video. A few things:

Yeah, looks tacky. While I wanted to see what it would look like, I wasn't much for the result, and have realized the platter's better off unlit, even though like I mentioned on the site, I came up with a different solution. To me, doing this project was more of a 'proof of concept' thing for me. My wife nearly fell over laughing watching me cut cardboard and so on— "Oh my God, you're crafting!"

The noise you heard in the video wasn't static; it was a corner of the cardboard touching the belt drive spindle. I didn't have the system on when I made the video, just the turntable. I did play a record later (and I adjusted the cardboard) and there wasn't any electrical buzz that I could hear.

Overall, it doesn't really work with anything other than a lightly colored, translucent record. Darker colors like green, red and purple didn't light up much at all, just orange and yellow vinyl. To me, it's more interesting when light from above passes through colored vinyl and changes the color of the platter. YMMV.

Lastly, I too wanted a way to make the whole platter glow with lights that rotated with the platter itself—and I figured out out to do it. I will humbly say that the results look like the platter fell out of Tron. Best of all, it costs a lot less than $5—try 32 cents. You can see it in tomorrow's video. :)