Speaker wire question

prob dumb. hella dumb.

i got a new sub, which specified the use of 16awg or thicker 2 conductor wire. i ordered up some 12awg wire (thicker good yea?), plugged that into sub input, w/ original 16awg wire going to speakers from sub output. worked for like 2 min then everything died.

it seems i managed to fry both 16 and 12 wire by doing that, maybe?

right speaker wasn't playing then left speaker kinda petered out. i thought preamp channels kicked it.

but i hooked old sansui up and speakers were still not going. i finally got signal w/ my old old center speaker w/ old old cable. my 16awg would get some sound but was totally crappy and 12awg got nothin'.

the new speakers do still produce sound and it wasn't the cart suddenly dying.

the only thing i can deduce is that it's a bad idea to mix awg, which crossed my mind but the manual just said hook up sub output to speakers w/ speaker wire, so i figured that meant the original wire.

so, does anyone know for sure that's where i fucked up and i should be ok when i replace all the wire...prob just get a 100ft of 14 or smthg. or just 16. i was using 25ft of speaker wire for each speaker.

Its not your cable. It probably specified 16g due to the size for the port. Are you sure you're attaching + to + and - to -?  Double check yourself. Also the sub sounds like it pooped the bed. If one channel went out, then the other? That's not a good sign. Check your sub's fuse as well. What would also help is some photo reference. And what equipment you're using.

Why 25ft of cable? Is that how far your speakers are from the sub?

Wolf, it sound like you may have done half of the troubleshooting. The wire gauge, mixed or not, should not be the problem. And wire just doesn't stop working. Make sure to inspect your lengths of cable for cuts, damage or defects, then check to make sure that all the cables are in the right place, then start from scratch. Sansui amp- wire- speakers(last known working config), and confirm your getting sound. Forget the sub for now, if things are working then you can add the sub back in. Now rotate the beginning of the chain, then work your way rotating down the line until you find a part that doesn't work. Check all connections and settings.

I'm sure you've done some if not most of this, but something is wrong because mixing wire gauges shouldn't have any effect like that.

ok, so after some morning, calmer testing...the good news is that the wire and speakers are all fine. (assuming sub is fine for now).

i pulled out my onkyo, which made for much easier speaker connection testing than the spring connectors on the sansui. all wires drove both speakers.

so i put the Adcom setup back together. Hook up right speaker, nothing. Hook up left speaker, thermal protection light goes on, still nothing.

Seems the preamp took a dump.

Would a short in the speaker wire blow the amp or preamp?

When I looked closer there was some bad wire stripping on my part on one of the 12awg sub input wires and some stray speaker wire that prob caused short.

If the fuses were blown they wouldn't turn on at all would they?

just a splitter on L and splitter on R output from pre amp out...

well, the sub is working and pumping out the lows...so, i guess...better than losing 1/3 on returning it...

i haven't listened to a whole album yet...just a couple songs to make sure fuses weren't going to blow again from smtg else...