2013 Academy Awards

Who's watching it? Who do you want to win?

Personally, i want Django to win best picture, but i think Argo will take it.

And on a side note: Did everybody think Silver Linings Playbook was that good? I thought it was funny, but i don't think it deserved this many nominations.

silver linings playbook exceeded my expectations and was well-written but it's nothing relevatory for filmmaking.

i'm curious to see if moonrise kingdom will beat out django for original screenplay. (or maybe neither.)

argo probably has a lock on picture and adapted screenplay...

bummed that tommy lee jones didn't win best supporting actor because he carried lincoln along with daniel day-lewis. but christoph waltz was pretty amazing so it's hard to argue with the results.

I loved Argo but I am surprised how more successful it has been during the awards season over Zero Dark Thirty.

Zero Dark Thirty had Best Picture written all over it, from the unanimous critical acclaim it received to the subject matter of the film.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. The story of how they tracked down osama wasn't very interesting and the protagonist was a very bland "strong woman" stock character. The Hurt Locker was a bit better.

I've followed the awards races for years, and I've learned to just enjoy it for what it is: a game.  It's studios competing to market their films to members of the Academy.  Almost all of the films honored are good and have their merits, but almost never represent the best work of the year (there are always exceptions to this observation).  The majority of the Academy is really, really old, so it's ridiculous and unfair to expect them to watch every good film and for them to pick the films and performances that truly represent the year in cinema.

What I think Best Picture should represent is a movie that 10, 20, 30 years from now is looked back on as a movie that truly represents that point in time.  And the period dramas that consistently win Best Picture almost never do that (again there are exceptions).