This Subforum could really use a sticky

Clearly a lot of great information in here but it is contained in silos. It would be really great if someone with a lot of knowledge, maybe even an industry pro, could kind of combine it into one easily usable thread.

Section one: Turntable basics. Hit on all the pieces, what they do, etc. Link to currently existing information out there on the internet if there is something that already covers everything. Don't need to reinvent the wheel. Maybe expand. Just get it to this site.

Section two: Give the top couple most popular / most recommended pieces of equipment for each price range. It doesn't have to be too complicated. 3 turntables for someone just getting started and isn't sure they want to invest. 3 turntables for someone who has the vinyl bug but only a couple hundred to spend. 3 turntables for the audiophile. Maybe discuss the specs that put them in that range if possible.

Repeat for receiver, preamp, speakers, etc.

Then maybe a section on how to put it all together (ie, if you are going to have an audiophile set-up eventually but can't upgrade all at once, get this first, then this, ...).

I don't have the knowledge to write it but I'd definitely love to read it. Hoping someone out there has the time and knowledge to do it for the group. I'm clearly requesting it...

The science of vinyl records / turntables, what pieces are the most important, etc are just nice to have. Not necessary.

I really think a sticky that just gave a couple suggestions for each price range of each component is needed. It's not so much there aren't a lot of opinions and advice on here and the posts of "I have this much to spend, what should I buy" get the job done for that person. It's just not collected into a way so that it is built into a guide that really lets us feel like we know what we are buying, whether it is good value, whether we should wait and shoot for something higher, etc. 

If someone did a V1 of it, discussion would follow, there could be a V2 later, and so on. If no one is interested in trying, oh well. This can sink into oblivion off the front page.

Trying to think outside the box. It could be a list of specs to look for in each price range if it is too broad. Take speakers for example -- if I want mid-level with 2 floor standing speakers, what am I looking for? Watts? Speaker size? Certain materials? I was gifted my speakers. I don't even know if they are any good because I don't understand what to look for.

With receivers, is there a reason to go vintage (ie some kind of analog vs. digital tradeoff) or is a high level new receiver also going to be designed with vinyl in mind?

I could keep going but I think I've made my point. There has to be some way to consolidate the info and help us be smart shoppers while still bein manageable.

Totally. The biggest problem with vintage is that they're vintage. We could recommend a Marantz 1060 as it is a great integrated. But then someone picks one up and it's broken... You know? But we could post recommended vintage brands?

think we are smart enough to realize that if we buy a 30 year old receiver that there are risks involved. If vintage is the way to go, maybe a line about why it's the best and a line about what might be likely to need replacing over time. If it's new, say why it is as good as a vintage.

It doesn't have to be a perfect, end-all-be-all guide to vinyl equipment and we can close the forum down after it is posted. Just treat it like "ajxd's guide to what I would buy at different price levels" (or substitute someone else's name who also knows a lot). If someone disagrees, then can comment or build their own guide. Probably pretty shitty at first. Then maybe through focused discussion it turns into something good.

I think thebiglebowski is on to something here. I believe he means a general thread to help people -in general- get up and running and playing records. And that this thread can also lead to proper component upgrades and general info that EVERYONE needs at some point. A turntable thread is nice but a whole general "how to" & "what you need" would be nice.