Are my speakers good?

Read my first post.

And again...

Your first post said only, if they sound good to you, they're good.  All the technical bullshit you like to spew about components, build, and advances could have been focused into a coherent answer that would have let the OP know if his speakers were poorly housed and built with cheap components, or well-manufactured and worthy of keeping around in place of buying something new that may or may not be a quality product.

But, as evidenced time and time again (and I'm falling for it like a sucker, I know), you're showing that you're more interested in showing off what you know - or think you know - rather than give someone advice that might be worth a shit.

So, like I said, I should probably take a step back, when all that really needs to be said is, ajxd, fuck you.

Show of hands: who wants to discuss the merits of a pair of Sony SS-U620AV speakers?  Let's see ... that's moodydan and, ummmm ... absolutely no else ever in the history of the world. Living or dead.  That includes OP, too.  Not ever.

AJXD gave his answer in his first post (it's subjective) and simply expressed his doubt that a pair of 30 year old Sonys were very good considering advancements in speaker technology.    And he's absolutely right ... at least about the first part.  No one can tell the OP what they think of his speakers without hearing them.  In fact, no one on this board can even make the claim that they've read good things about the speakers, because as the OP states himself, a google yields ZERO results.  That alone should tell you that they really aren't worth discussing.  And of course I'm not saying that they OP can't enjoy them, but in the grand scheme of things, anyone on this board who can manage to put two coherent thoughts together should be able to deduce that the SS-U620AVs rank pretty low in the hierarchy of speakers.

Beside, if you want to get technical, Slinch started the tangent ... and good for him, because in this case, listening to a civil debate between two knowledgeable people is a tangent I can get on board with.

Show of hands: who wants to discuss the merits of a pair of Sony SS-U620AV speakers?  Let's see ... that's moodydan and, ummmm ... absolutely no else ever in the history of the world. Living or dead.  That includes OP, too.  Not ever.

AJXD gave his answer in his first post (it's subjective) and simply expressed his doubt that a pair of 30 year old Sonys were very good considering advancements in speaker technology.    And he's absolutely right ... at least about the first part.  No one can tell the OP what they think of his speakers without hearing them.  In fact, no one on this board can even make the claim that they've read good things about the speakers, because as the OP states himself, a google yields ZERO results.  That alone should tell you that they really aren't worth discussing.  And of course I'm not saying that they OP can't enjoy them, but in the grand scheme of things, anyone on this board who can manage to put two coherent thoughts together should be able to deduce that the SS-U620AVs rank pretty low in the hierarchy of speakers.

Beside, if you want to get technical, Slinch started the tangent ... and good for him, because in this case, listening to a civil debate between two knowledgeable people is a tangent I can get on board with.

Amen to all of that. Who knows? Ive never heard those speakers either.

Show of hands: who wants to discuss the merits of a pair of Sony SS-U620AV speakers? Let's see ... that's moodydan and, ummmm ... absolutely no else ever in the history of the world. Living or dead. That includes OP, too. Not ever.

AJXD gave his answer in his first post (it's subjective) and simply expressed his doubt that a pair of 30 year old Sonys were very good considering advancements in speaker technology. And he's absolutely right ... at least about the first part. No one can tell the OP what they think of his speakers without hearing them. In fact, no one on this board can even make the claim that they've read good things about the speakers, because as the OP states himself, a google yields ZERO results. That alone should tell you that they really aren't worth discussing. And of course I'm not saying that they OP can't enjoy them, but in the grand scheme of things, anyone on this board who can manage to put two coherent thoughts together should be able to deduce that the SS-U620AVs rank pretty low in the hierarchy of speakers.

Best response.

And for whatever it's worth (nothing), I was Bob Katz mastering assistant for a period of time. Crazy smart dude, with a lot of great gear (obvs). He has a lot of intense ideas about audio. But you'll not find him use anything over a few years old in his studio most of the time. He's using Revel Ultimas and big Genelecs (with oh no...modern DSP digital technology!). So Bob's down for modern speaker design.

Also, if you want to see modern speaker technical advancements, go listen to Wilson Audio speakers (I'm sure Slinch has).

Oh, and to be "on-topic", I haven't heard the speakers either. I suspect them to be mediocre but most definitely passable.

• 3 weeks later...

Those speakers suck. Get new/old ones.   Seventies are where you want to look fore everyone was on cocaine and dancing like rabbits to the loudest shit they could find or produce.  Anything by JBL(prior to Northridge move preferably,) KLIPSCH, ALTEC, RSL, PSL, AR, DA, etc are excellent for the $.