Upgrading TT, need help

Hi guys,

I am currently using a AT-LP60 at phono setting to my Samsung Home Theatre system. Line setting works too but its VERY soft. Basically its RCA to 3.5mm(male) from my home theatre to RCA to 3.5mm(female) on my LP60.

I know that LP60 is built in with a preamp but I don't understand what it does. I have done research and it seems it amplify sound, am I right?

I wish to upgrade to a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon but I have 1 issues. Firstly, I'm really not sure about phono/line and the technicalities of it. So if I connect the Carbon, the exact same way as my LP60 will it work?

Do I have to go through a preamp in between the carbon and the home theatre? 

I am thinking is it easier to get a TT with preamp built in (like my LP60) as its more convenient or should I just grab carbon and have to get another preamp which I totally have no experience in (brand and which preamp is better issues?)

What exactly are line and phono in layman terms?

Thanks!

im not too smart when it comes to this stuff, but if your receiver doesn't have a phono input you will need to by a phono preamp 

How do I know if my receiver has a phono input? I just see a AUX in which is red/white RCA. Basically the back is HDMI out, digital/optical in, Video out, AUX in and component out.

Thanks for replying!