Enjoying Vinyl w/ Your Kids

My daughter (5) usually likes to pick whatever jacket has pink on it. But I usually know what she'll like as far as actual music. Beatles & Foo Fighters are staples for us. She likes the glow in the dark "This is a Call" single, especially when I dig the blacklight out of the basement and make it glow super bright. 

She LOVES listening to the Grinch lp around Christmas though. In addition to watching it about 500 times. And reading the book 300 times. 

Now if the Fresh Beat Band were on vinyl she'd have me playing that non-stop. She also has my old beat up playschool record player that I let her play old story book 45s on.

My son is 1 and a half and at least once a day he comes running screaming "rock-record, rock-record!" (in swedish of course). He then specifically asks to hear "Mondo Bongo" by Joe Strummer. Once it's on the turntable he likes to watch the record spin for a while and then he gets down on the floor and starts dancing. He also enjoys listening to Manu Chao, Decemberists and "Because of the Shame" by Against Me! He has a few records of his own to throw around and play with next to my records. 99% of the time he knows what he can and can not touch.

My 5 and 3 year old girls are loving "the paino lady" or Slingshot Dakota to you and I. We've had Another Brink in the Wall on repeat, to th epoint where the eldest knows the words and actually sings the guitar solo. And you can never go wrong with a little ABBA. They love it.

However, my 1 year old is not so much the dancey stuff and we chill at breakfast with some lute from Jozef Van Wissem. Didnt see that one coming, i can tell you.

my 10 year old is into green day big time.

so for xmas I got him Dos,Nimrod,Uno ,Insomniac all on colored except Uno from hot topic. Then I showed him how to handle them  and put on record player. He listens to his collection almost daily while doing homework,playing etc.

My wife last week said " God, Green Day is ok but damn all day everyday ". I am not too much into green day but hey as long as he is not listening to that regaeton shit all good.