Enjoying Vinyl w/ Your Kids

So, I just got home from work 45 mins ago.  As soon as I walked in, my kids (ages 4 & 2) gave me hugs and then started begging to 'sing & dance.'  I let my daughter (the 2 year old) pick out the vinyl.  She choose HEALTH's "Disco" (probably because the jacket has pink on it).  My son couldn't wait to see what color the record was, "Hey, its black!  A black circle!" he exclaimed as I pulled it out of its sleeve.  We spent the next 45 minutes dance, skipping, and going crazy listening to music.  It was awesome.  I love sharing my love of music with them.

It got my thinking: to the other parents, what are some of your kids' favorite albums to listen to with you?  What are some of your favorite experiences listening to vinyl with your children?

My kids' favorites include:

• Fun "Some Nights"
  • Band of Horses "Cease to Begin"
  • Clive Takana's "Jet Siempre no 1"
  • Postal Service "Give Up"
  • Of Monster's and Men "My Head is an Animal"
  • v/a Yo Gabba Gabba's "Super Music Friend Show" (of course!)

Not my child, but my niece definitely loves looking through my vinyl.  She's 5 now, and when she was over on Sunday she looked at the cover of the new Thee Oh Sees album and just started laughing.

She's really into The Beatles lately (thanks to those crappy Kidz Bop albums) and we listen to the new box set when she is over quite a bit.  She loves the early albums.

My 4 year old always wants to listen to the record player, lately she's been asking to listen to Michael Jackson's "Thriller" a lot haha. She likes listening to Fall Out Boy's "From Under the Cork Tree" too, mostly because she loves "Dance Dance" and "Sugar, We're Going Down". She always asks if I can get certain things, or if I have the record, last night she asked me to get Taylor Swift for her haha I love listening to vinyl with her though, she always wants to try to put the needle down or up or lift the cover, she's fascinated with it!

I want kids just so I can enjoy some good music with them. You guys are all A+++ parents, do you guys take them to shows like your 8 years olds maybe?

ERIC: Hey kids, look at my new Weeknd vinyl. Let's go play it on my Crosley. 

KIDS: Wait Daddy, why a Crosley, those suck?

ERIC: But my Crosley has surround sound.

ERIC: Damn, why the weeknd have these fake artist proofs, I paid $199 for this.

KIDS: Why did you spend $199 on that?

ERIC: Because I am not a troll.

ERIC: What do you say children? How does a cup of Popcorn tea sound?

KIDS: Gross. Have fun listening to vinyl on your own. We're going over to moms house.

My little guy is a year and nine months and loves when I put a record on. Unfortunately he like Galactus is a destroyer of worlds. So I must play the role of Silver Surfer and find him more suitable things to destroy. I had to build a mini wall to keep him away from my set up. Hopefully his destructive ways will begin to cull.

My 5 year old loves :

M83 digital shades vol 1

R.E.M. green

Musical youth, pass the dutchie

But his favorite is the Daft Punk Tron rsd record. We'll play air hockey and he'll score a goal and do the robot.

He can't stand radiohead, and when I played him pavement's crooked rain crooked rain he asked me if that was me playing on the record. Sniff, it was beautiful. Plus he gets a ton of Paco de Lucia and he has no choice in the matter. I get a kick that he knows what a record is.

My 5 year old loves :

M83 digital shades vol 1

R.E.M. green

Musical youth, pass the dutchie

But his favorite is the Daft Punk Tron rsd record. We'll play air hockey and he'll score a goal and do the robot.

He can't stand radiohead, and when I played him pavement's crooked rain crooked rain he asked me if that was me playing on the record. Sniff, it was beautiful. Plus he gets a ton of Paco de Lucia and he has no choice in the matter. I get a kick that he knows what a record is.

I don't know why this made me laugh so hard, but how can you not like that song.

My son is 2 years old. I don't play anything consistently but he knows the word 'record(s)' and properly pluralizes if there are more than one.  Since the TT is in the living room, it interferes with his TV watching. But if I put something on, he'll dance. If we listen to metal, though, I taught him to throw a fist in the air.

He also loves to play air guitar.

Before moving, I'd listen to stuff with Paula all the time. She actually really enjoyed HWM's Live in Chicago, like smile tons when it'd be put on, do her little dance-kind-of-thing when I'd hold her up, and squeal.

The turntable is in storage until we're on our own again (ie, when I'm actually bringing in  income, and not just on the roster at a company which is the case now), but she still digs Daft Punk a ton. Discovery is what she falls asleep to almost every night. Emily okayed the purchase of the new Daft album since "we pretty much have to for her." She just calms down so fast once she hears "One More Time." It's insane.

Also, the smiles really big when she hears The Ergs.

Also, here's a story I posted on Facebook when she was a few months old:

I was singing to Paula to keep her calm/get her to sleep, and singing songs that were on old mix cds from high school.

She apparently has an innate hatred for Journey as "Don't Stop Believing" completely did not do the trick, and she was absolutely inconsolable. I skipped ahead to the next song.

The next song was Slayer's "Raining Blood." She calmed down instantly.

'Atta girl.

My little guy is a year and nine months and loves when I put a record on. Unfortunately he like Galactus is a destroyer of worlds. So I must play the role of Silver Surfer and find him more suitable things to destroy. I had to build a mini wall to keep him away from my set up. Hopefully his destructive ways will begin to cull.

Same here, but mine is 1 year and 2 months.

Daft Punk's Discovery is a great record to listen with your kid(s).

Our daughter has been my postrock buddy since 2007 (Sigur Ros) when she was nine. She is getting one of my Yndi Halda spares to play on her TT, and since she wears size S shirt, is getting a couple of vintage shirts I bought at 'another forum' for a surprise.

Our oldest son of 3 wants to be Mike Sullivan of Russian Circles haha while studying Law.  He usually poo-poo's any suggestions I make, but then later, comes around to see the light  :) He likes more of the harder rock/metal in the post- and alt- genre's.  I don't suggest too much to him anymore since it's not 'cool', but it's great when he invites me to tag along with him and his buds for concerts.

The younger two sons are still highly influenced by my wife's taste for radio Country music, since they are her captive audience right now :)

The youngest destroyed a scanner and a camera charging deck back in his younger days, but is old enough now to know not to get within 10 feet of my set up (now in our bedroom, not downstairs).