All Bacon Diet (Official Bearding Competition Chat Thread)

Cool. You didn't say any of that when mentioning diet so I wasn't sure.

FYI, Flaxseed Oil is inferior to fish oil. Not sure why you listed Omega 3s and Flaxseed Oil separately. Flax gives you omega 3s (good), but also 6s and 9s (which you don't really want: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-6_fatty_acid). Fish oil is all omega-3.

A multi should give you 100% of the B12 you need. Not that you can really have too much (that would be a LOT of B12) but if you take that separately you are probably just pissing a lot of it out.

But anyways, cool. I'll quit going on about vitamins. Remember that any Atkins / Keto diet has a "cheat" day that is actually encouraged not just allowed. Your body needs carbs too, you just only replenish them one day a week to keep your body in a state of ketosis the other 6. A good rule of thumb is try not to eat anything with more than a few grams of carbs per serving (0,1,2 is really good, 3,4,5 is OK). Obviously bacon would fall in the 0,1,2 category. Good luck.

If you don't have a cheat day your muscles will become useless from lack of glycogen. You will feel sore from doing day to day activities (such as just walking around). Our muscles might be built on protein, but the do need sugar to function.

Just trying to give some suggestions from an overall health point of view, not an extreme weight loss. Keto diets work but are also a little dangerous in that if you don't follow the plan exactly, they are horrible for you. Lots of bacon -- works. Throw one apple in there a day + loads of bacon (the sugar in the apple will throw you out of ketosis) -- terrible for you.

I'm assuming you don't want to damage your arteries for your beard but maybe that is wrong.

You've made it clear weight loss / overall health isn't primary goal but you did mention it as a secondary in the first post so...

The whiskey and cokes will have already thrown yourself out of ketogenesis (if you ever made it in) so the pizza on top is not really cheating anymore than you already have.

Alcohol really has no place on a high-fat diet except in very strict moderation. If you were to have a drink or two, whiskey and water would be better (I know it doesn't taste the same).

It's whiskey and diet. So no carbs.

Not sure where you are getting your info from but alcohol in every form is 100% a carbohydrate and aspartame (besides it's many other negative effects) will knock you out of ketosis, which is exactly what you are trying to avoid by not eating carbohydrates:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/479585-ketosis-aspartame/

"Gaby contends that ketogenic diets only work if strictly adhered to" -- that part of the article is simple but should be bolded for its importance.

Anything that tastes like sugar but someone tells you "it's not sugar" is too good to be true -- artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols (like "sugar free gummy bears" or "no sugar added ice cream") should be treated exactly like sugar if doing any flavor of ketogenic diet (paleo, Atkins, steak and eggs, or whatever new thing gets invented tomorrow).

I'm not a doc or nutritionist (well actually I am a doc, just not medical) but I am well read on the subject. "Jessrd" posts around here and I believe us an actual nutritionist. Confident that she would back up what I've said. Maybe your buddy Scott Heisel as well, who posted he lost a good amount of weight on a keto diet.

I'm not trying to overstep my bounds but for the health of a fellow VC'er I think you should read up on whatever diet you are trying to do and if you are following someone else's guidance, reconsider it. Cause again, what that MD said above...

Again, weight loss isn't the primary goal. It has been a nice side effect, but the main goal is essentially a "beard sprint." 

I am not trying to keto anything. However, I definitely believe that you know a lot about ketoing.

But I appreciate the concern. 

And google Jameson carbs. It has 0g. I didn't believe it either.

I can't get in your head but I was assuming that you are not interested in damaging the rest of your body to grow your beard. You might not be "trying to keto" but you are. Title it whatever you want, but "keto" is the title over all high-fat / low-carb diets.

But cool. I suggest you read a little more cause bacon is only healthy if taken with the proper diet, otherwise it is inching your way towards a heart attack. Will leave it at that.

• 4 weeks later...

From the "Most Ironic Deaths" via Reddit:

"Hans Steininger is known in the history books as the man with the longest beard (4.5 feet). Artists have fondly sketched his glorious expression of facial hair and even immortalized his crowning achievement in stone. However, his hairy asset is what brought him to sudden death. As he was caught in a fire, he accidentally tripped over his long beard, broke his neck and died."

Hard alcohol doesn't have carbs

Ehhh technically alcohol is a carb in every form. It is metabolized differently than other carbs, into a triglyceride in the liver and doesn't raise insulin levels, which is why it won't throw someone out of ketosis. How companies have made deals with the FDA to call this "protein" instead of "carb", I'm not sure. But look at the chemical structure of ethanol -- CH3CH2OH and tell me how that is a protein? It's close to semantics. It's a "carb but in a different class than other carbs".

No it won't throw you out of ketosis

A lot of the things that you usually mix alcohol with will (wines, sodas, beer, diet soda, etc)

You will get drunk faster and be more susceptible to hangovers without carbs in your body

If someone is pursuing a ketogenic diet for fat loss, the empty calories in alcohol are going to negate the fat-loss, as your body focuses on metabolizing alchohol instead of fat

The late night Taco Bell at 2 am is even worse

This isn't directed at Casey