Firefighter Death at my work

I dont normally post new topics but I have worked for the City of Westland Michigan Fire Department for 8 years this August 1st.

Well I was off Yesterday at the Zoo with the family and I started getting texts to see where I was/if I was working. Apparently their was a large fire at a popular local Pool hall and its connected restaurant in a strip mall. A half hour after they got on scene their was a roof collapse. 5 Firefighters were inside at the time, 4 were able to get out.

The info I have is from co-workers FB posts, texts and News media so far, I dont go back to work untill Saturday.

The guy who died was 29 and he had only been hired 10 months ago, unfortunately I had only meet him in passing 2 times or so and for 15-20 min at a time (Working 24 hour shifts we have 3 shifts and 5 stations so its easy not to see someone for years)  But he was just a big goofy caring teddy bear from what I gathered always happy. He left a wife of 4 years and a 13 month old daughter.

This all hits close to home #1 because I worked with him, in the same job and Department #2 im not much older (32) and #3 I have a 2 year old also. Very sad.......

News article here:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/community-mourns-death-of-waynewestland-firefighter/-/1719418/20067894/-/hw7wovz/-/index.html

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/05/09/fund-for-fallen-westland-firefighter/

http://www.freep.com/article/20130508/NEWS05/305080093/

PP Donations could be sent here for his wife and kiddo:

http://www.local1279.org/?zone=/unionactive/view_article.cfm&HomeID=159875

Ya it really is a bad thing. I just cant believe what his wife is going through with the baby and all...... And as for pics goes the neighbor girl who befriended my wife (we have kids in the same age range that play all the time) posted a link on FB from his and her wedding planner (neighbor is friends with that copany apparently) and they showed their amazing wedding picture...... Crazy

I had to tell my firefighter buddy to not tell me work stories anymore. Couldn't take it.

Ya I have had a few close ones, I wont tell the wife. 2 times at night house fires Ive almost stepped on/made contact with the house power service line (fire burns up the outside of house, burns through the power line, in the dark going to pull siding/spray the fire and zap) One time I sprayed water on it and got a fireworks show, the other I was about 1" away from the line in tall grass.

And that dosent even include fighting a actual fire inside a house/structure.

In zero visibility smoke 2 times was inches away from giant burned holes in floors with potential to fall 1-2 stories down.

Their are more.....

My dad was a Captain for Bakersfield City Fire Dept and retired after 25 years of service. He actually had to retire on disability after a call that has him so psychologically fucked up, he still has night terrors.

For those who have weak stomachs, stop reading now.

Bakersfield is hot as fuck. In July, temperatures can reach upwards of 113 degrees. Well, a lady decided that it would be a good idea to try and break in to her boyfriend's house by climbing down the chimney. Needless to say, she got stuck. For six days. The smell was so putrid that people from nearly a mile away were calling to report the odor. My dad was part of the lucky three man crew who got to go jackhammer the chimney open to remove the corpse. She slowroasted in 110+ degree weather for SIX DAYS. My dad said that all that was left was a rancid pile of bones, clothes, and maggot infested "stew" as he called it. He said it was the most vile thing he has ever seen and the smell caused all three firefighters to vomit profusely. To this day, he still cannot stand the sight of raw red meat. He goes to a shrink for it. I could go into more graphic detail, but I'm sure you all get the point.

His first day on the job, he went on two SID (sudden infant death.) You dont know pain until you take a dead newborn out of the arms of a crying teenage mother. He almost walked out on day one. Fortunately, he didn't see this again for several years.

Another memorable call was a family who was in a car accident that caused the 5 yeard daughter to be decapitated. His task on the scene? Find the head.

I wish I was making this all up, but it's the honest truth. Thankfully he survived it all and was never seriously physically injured.

To those who are interested in the field, think long and hard about what you can handle. My dad forbid me to go into the field. I'm glad he did, though the money is great and someone has to do the job.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/38939858/ns/us_news-life/t/doctor-stuck-chimney-died-asphyxiation/