New Record Player Setup - Need Help!

Hi everyone -

I recently joined the world of vinyl a couple months ago with a NOFX box set and an Audio Technica LP-60. I was immediately not impressed with its output quality and knew I could do better.

I've been researching, and and purchased the following:

x252DBTCFGR-o_nocover.jpeg

Pro-ject Carbon Debut

300x300px-LS-79b5f790_B002PSJVV4-31yyBPk

Music Hall PA1.2 MM/MC

31GWi4evluL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

2x Infinity Primus p163 speakers.

Now I'm not totally familiar with how the setup needs to be done, but I'm under the impression I will still need a receiver or an amp of some sort. I was looking at the following Onkyo receiver - would this work?

I appreciate it!

You just bought some seriously good coponents to be wasting them on a low-tier reciever like that.

I would suggest a Marantz PM5004 or PM6004, or a Yamaha a-s500.  The amp will depend on the WPC of your speakers.  The watts per channel of your amp should always be below the wattage of your speakers.  Usually people get the amp and then get speakers to match it, but those infinity's look nice to take some time to find them an integrated amp that will do them (and your awesome turntable) some justice.

You don't want the speakers to be too high above the wattage of the amp.  The yamaha or pm6004 might be better for those speakers (I had no idea bookshelf speakers had wattage that high).

There's also some other good integrated amps out there in your price range.

I would just avoid recievers that have a ton of features thrown on, because (like the onkyo) they wont have pure 2-channel sound up to par with similarly priced units without tuners or other options.

Generally just go for integrated amps over "recievers".

Vintage is also a good option.  You want something in the 65-85 WPC range it seems like.

ajxd, still making friends I see :D

Haha yeah, speakers don't "have wattage". There is usually a recommended amplifier power output specified, but it doesn't really tell you much. Those speakers should be fine with 5004, though I'd strongly advise spending a bit more on speakers. This is the price range where just too much is sacrificed.

I have purchased the PM5004, and am currently waiting on my speakers to arrive on Tuesday. I will test them for a bit, and if I don't like them, I will exchange for something better.

Sorry for the questions - but I really am new to all of this. I've read as much as I can, but some things are still confusing for me. The PM5004 I purchased has a Phono In, which means my Preamp in this case isn't necessary, right? I will be returning that.

Additionally, is there a way I can hook a subwoofer up to this successfully? Any recommendations on those?