Sanyo TP 626

I’m new to VC but I’ve been lurking a couple weeks and finally decided to join and post. This is kind of a setup post but I’m also looking for feedback on my equipment because I’m new to the game.

This is my first real turntable (I had an AT LP60 but that was a mistake). I love vintage gear but was planning to buy new to avoid the pitfalls until I came across this Sanyo on Craigslist and got it for $40.

I’ve been doing some research but haven’t been able to find much information on the table or cart (Empire 6000E). From what I’ve read it’s from the late 70’s and I've heard some good things about the Empire cart.

I cleaned it up and downloaded the manual from Vinylengine (thanks to a tip from Kannibal on another thread). I was planning to take it apart to oil the motor but it’s a little out of my comfort zone. I’m afraid if I start taking things apart I won’t be able to get it back together. Does anyone know of a good tech in the Charlotte, NC area that could give this a tune up?

I put a new belt on it and I got a new stylus from Turntableneedles.com. It seems to run great and sounds way better than my LP60.

I bought a Cambridge Audio 551P preamp and I have that hooked up to my AV receiver (Pioneer VSX-920). The Pioneer is a 5.1 but it has a stereo mode so I can switch over to 2 channel when I’m listening to records.

I’m using JBL bookshelf speakers and an Infinity 8” subwoofer from the mid 90’s. Speakers will probably be my next upgrade. I’m thinking of getting some Bowers & Wilkins 685 bookshelf speakers but there are so many choices when it comes to speakers. I’m looking to spend $600 - $800 and I’ve heard good things about the B&W’s. It’ll be a while though because I’m broke right now.

Does anyone know much about this table or cart? I’m new to the vinyl experience but I’m not a shriveling flower so if it sucks let me have it. Here are some pics

6a1b2dca-d316-42f6-a40a-863c30bd9e0b_zps

d548d3b8-d07a-4825-a388-3996544dde8e_zps

24353d5a-1bf4-4798-ad3a-09f6dc6a39fd_zps

Sure, drop me a line.  There's a great tech in Charlotte who will fix you up real nice, for not too much money.  Hell, I can take a look at it if you want and at least make sure you've got everything aligned and dialed in correctly.  Sounds like it's working at least.  Is there any reason why you feel like the motor needs oil?  Had the TT been sitting around unused for years or something like that?

For $40, I think you did okay.  I don't know much about Sanyo, but just from the appearance, it comes across as being pretty solid.  I mean, the platter looks fairly substantial and the tonearm appears to be relatively well-made.  Is the base made of wood or some sort of plastic?   Nothing spectacular, but I'd bet it's miles beyond that AT LP60 and it will probably serve you well until (and if) you decide to upgrade.

Sure, drop me a line.  There's a great tech in Charlotte who will fix you up real nice, for not too much money.  Hell, I can take a look at it if you want and at least make sure you've got everything aligned and dialed in correctly.  Sounds like it's working at least.  Is there any reason why you feel like the motor needs oil?  Had the TT been sitting around unused for years or something like that?

For $40, I think you did okay.  I don't know much about Sanyo, but just from the appearance, it comes across as being pretty solid.  I mean, the platter looks fairly substantial and the tonearm appears to be relatively well-made.  Is the base made of wood or some sort of plastic?   Nothing spectacular, but I'd bet it's miles beyond that AT LP60 and it will probably serve you well until (and if) you decide to upgrade.

If you wouldn't mind taking a look at it that would be awesome. I downloaded a protractor and tried to make sure everything was lined up but it would be nice to have someone take a look. The belt that was on the TT had disintegrated into a bunch of small sticky pieces so I assumed it hadn't been used in awhile and might need some oil.

I think the base is wood painted black (I'll check later), the TP 625 model is the same table except wood grain. It's definitely a step up from the AT LP60. I have a handful of records I couldn't even listen to on the LP60 because it had terrible tracking issues. Those same records play without a skip on the Sanyo though.

I hesitated to say anything as well, just because looks can be decieving, but it looks like it would be a fine table to use and learn on. How heavy is it? It sounds as good as it looks (for what it is), you should be in good shape for normal listening and enjoying your music.

It's pretty heavy, I don't have much to compare it to though. The main table is suspended by springs from the outer box and the platter is pretty solid too. I like the rubber mat much better than the felt one I have. I'm liking the sound but I don't have much to compare it to, the only person I know with a TT lives in Detroit so it's tough to compare.

That's what I thought too, "It looks pretty good" but wasn't sure how good it would sound. Figured it was worth a gamble for $40.

Thanks for all the feedback, when it's time to upgrade I'm sure I'll be looking for more advice. For now it's more handys to randos.

• 4 weeks later...

This looks like a CEC built table...I have the Realistic Lab 300,although the tonearm gimble assembly looks different,may be a later model.The Project/One will also look similar.

I have put an Ortofon 2M red on mine and ,after careful setup,sounds fantastic!!!Very high output cart,but reveals every little detail.

All in all you have a very durable TT that sounds great!