Help with computer shopping

If you're set on a Mac, I would recommend you purchase the pro with the smallest harddrive and ram, then upgrade it yourself. I use a Pro and installed 8gb of ram and a 1tb harddrive for hundreds less than what apple would charge

this....if of course, you know what you are doing. these damn unibodies are much harder to mess with. 

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD102LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-29ghz-dual-core-intel-i7

I'm thinking about getting this and spending a lil more... It's an extra $100 out of my pocket. But fast processor 8gig ram and extra 250gb HD than the basic 13in

Although it is a refurb. Am I good getting an apple refurb?

Electronic products tend to break very early in their life cycle (a manufacturing defect) or run for a really long time. Not like a car where a 100k mile care is much more likely to break down than a 20k car.

So yeah, I'd say buy the refurbished product. I don't know specifically how good apple is at refurbishing products but chances are if there is anything wrong with it, it will surface within the 1 year warranty and after you get outside that, the refurb is really no less likely to break than an original factory build in general with computers (battery would be an exception).

Apple refurbs are a great way to go. I know with the iPods they replace the screen and casing making it look brand new. I think they do the same with computers. They're good with customer service as well. When the 2nd generation iPod Touch came out my brother bought a refurb 1st generation. Turns out the wifi didn't work so we took it in to the Apple store. They tested it for a few minutes and then replaced it with a brand new 2nd generation. My experience with Apple refurbs has been all positive.