"Ride Sharing" - Lyft/Side Car/etc

Has anyone had any experience with Lyft or Side Car?

They're both pretty new in Chicago but I know they've been around in other markets for a while. I used Lyft for the first time yesterday with a $10 promo code. So for two trips that would've totaled $25+ with a cab, i only paid $6. The drivers were both nice and it was a pretty pleasant experience. I know there's some controversy, but most negative statements I've read have come from cab drivers that obviously have an agenda.

I just signed up to be a driver in Chicago. Figure I could do 5-15 hours a week in my spare time.

Curious to hear about peoples thoughts or experiences or at least start a conversation.

markets I'm aware of:

Lyft - Boston, Chicago, LA, San Fransisco, Seattle

Side Car - Boston, Chicago, LA, San Fransisco, Seattle, Washington DC

628x471.jpg

basically

clearly you don't know too much about it.

basically both companies work as iphone/android apps. drivers are ordinary people with their cars. they are prescreened/DMV record checked/criminal background checked and interviewed.

passengers create profiles using their facebook and input their credit card info. 

when you are in a city that is supported, you can use the app to "find ride" and someone will pick you up in their car. The person who is closest will see your photo and rating (see below) and decide to pick you up. once they drive you to your destination, you'll got a notification on your phone that includes a suggested donation based on the distance and time. since it's suggested, you have the option of paying less or more. then, the rider and driver rate each other out of five stars. people who end up getting lower ratings ultimately will not get passengers or rides. 

the driver receives 80% of whatever the passenger pays, but again, paying is optional.

for someone who completely hates cabs (chicago cabs are horrible) and has actually been hit by a cab, i think this is a fantastic idea. i got my first two rides yesterday. both people were super friendly and just normal. None of the driving 30+ MPH over the speed limit or loud talking on the blue tooth or yelling at you when you chose to use a credit card.

Plus, it's way cheaper than a cab would be. 

Yeah that sounds like there is no way it will last. I can point out so many problems. insurance? I would guess your personal policy doesn't cover being your own little taxi cab.

It also sounds illegal. These people don't have a CDL to be driving commercially. Calling it a "suggested donation" to get around it is like a torrent site saying that they do their best to remove copyrighted material off their site.

Hope it works awesome for in the short term and it's a decent idea but just my opinion, don't be surprised when it gets shut.

The companies have been around in CA for over a year and had some legal trouble from the cities, but the state had held up their legality.

I'm gonna start driving here in Chicago while its still new and make some extra cash. Once it's shut down, oh well...

I'd like to see it last though.

Unlike a taxi, you can't be flagged.