Custom Made Record Clamps/Weights - Good Idea?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, so glad I found this thread. I have been looking to upgrade my weight for a long time!

Here are a few points where my current weight could be improved.

• weight. Heavier the better! I know all TT suspensions may not support this so I think a custom or tiered option would work best. I've always wanted a weight that was at least 1lb. The closest thing I've ever had to that was a bowling pin with a hole in the bottom, and yeah I actually did use that for a while! Till it fell over and left a scratch in a priceless record (the hole was much bigger than the spindle, had to be centered each time - big problem) but damn I loved how it performed.

• footprint. One thing I love about my current weight above all other designs is the small footprint. The way it is designed, it very small and so still suitable to use on records with a smaller label, (78's, some LPs). Most weights completely fail in this area and cover the grooves, or give such little room that your poor cartridge is bumping into them, even at the end of longer LPs.

Of course, to pack more weight into a smaller footprint, one would need to build taller... Which leads to other problems, ie, stability, dust covers, etc. But denser materials and good design should produce something suitable for most people.

•45 weight - that "cut-out" design is ingenious and should be implemented by all means. I find that 7"s need more stability and coupling to the platter than larger discs.

• make it pretty! Mine(I think it's 400gm can't remember) is made of solid brass. Looked so beautiful at first, but it's tarnished now and I can't get it to look nice again for the life of me. It looks terrible. I almost never show it in pictures. And I take it off when people are over. Haha.

*optional but cool*

• perhaps you could source a quantity of some cheap circular spirit levels and somehow incorporate this into the design, like maybe on the inside, on top of the "cutout" piece, so it isn't always visible except when it is needed. This could prove to be a very valuable setup tool, you'd be surprised how many people's turntables are not level!

That last past could be a but tricky to pull off, but besides that If you could make something that incorporates the above pointers, and put it between the 50-100 dollar pricepoint, consider me sold! This has basically been my dream weight for as long as I could imagine. I will buy one, and I will probably buy extras for backup, gifts for friends, and recommend the shit out of them to everyone too hahah.

• 3 months later...

I'm definitely interested in this clamp of yours and can provide you with some decent feedback as well which is hopefully useful to you.

I own 3 different types of turntables.  Two high end audiophile ones (VPI TNT 6 Hot Rod and a Scheu Premier III) and a lighter weight Micro Seiki BL 21 (more akin to a lightweight Rega or Project table).

More importantly, I own 6 clamps!  Mostly because they ALL sound different to each other and I might prefer the sound of one over the other on a given record.  This is where I think you can get the best sonic feedback from me on your clamps.  I can tell you which weight works best overall and how it fits in with the others I have, listed below:

- Stillpoints LPI ($500)

- VPI HR-X Stainless Steel Center Weight ($150)

- VPI Delrin / Stainless Steel Clamp ($150)

- Furutech Monza LP ($500)

HRS Harmonic Resolution Systems Analog Disk ADL ($218.5)

- Orsonic DS-250 ($150)

Thanks for doing this neat project!  There aren't too many quality clamp solutions at the price points you are targeting.  Good luck!

Also, as useful as a bubble level is in a clamp, I think it looks rather ugly and ruins the aesthetics of a table. Just my opinion.  I'd rather level with a moew accurate, professional good quality level than use a cheap, small bubble level that I can't be sure about.