Sound Issue: one channel only

I have a Pro-Ject Debut three and a pro-ject pre-amp running through a cheaper receiver to Bose speakers.

When all is connected I am only getting sound from one channel, but only when spinning records. The same set up is used for the Tv and DVD player and there is no sound issue there.

I have replaced all my cables and just recently had the RCA cable and ground wire replaced on the table (thinking it was a short in the cord) but the problem persists.

Anybody else have ideas on what might be causing the problem?

I would guess it's either the RCA jacks on the receiver or the TT. Have you tried switching the input to a different one on the receiver, possibly the DVD or TV input that you know is functional? Or switch the L/R cables opposite each other on the same input on the receiver to see if the dead channel switches also, then you would know it's the something with the TT.

Could also be the cartridge wiring, but unless someone/something fudged with them, I would think it's pretty unlikely.

I would guess it's either the RCA jacks on the receiver or the TT. Have you tried switching the input to a different one on the receiver, possibly the DVD or TV input that you know is functional? Or switch the L/R cables opposite each other on the same input on the receiver to see if the dead channel switches also, then you would know it's the something with the TT.

Could also be the cartridge wiring, but unless someone/something fudged with them, I would think it's pretty unlikely.

As Yanquiuxo says you need to pin down which item is at fault. that is the art with all fault finding so you need to be methodical to weed out the items that are ok

You know the other amp inputs are ok so plug the TT and pre amp into one of them, if it's still there it's in the TT so cartridge and cables and pre amp. If it goes away then that input to the amp is at fault.

Also can you use the cable that goes between the pre amp and amp on another source and it's normal input to test that cable?

Also do you get a hum from the channel that isn't working? This can indicate a short somewhere.

The inputs to the amp and pre amp can be popped with shorts but it's more likely a cable issue.

You can also try moving cables and connections around when you have it all running, if you have a loose connection this will show it up but don't do it with the cartridge leads for obvious reasons. The contacts in the RCA sockets can relax and loose contact but that is very rare, if it's cable or connector related it's more likely a break or bad joint.

Thanks very much for all the input here guys. I've got a few things to try and see if we can fix the problem.

I know it's not a short in the RCA cable on the TT because I just had that and the ground wire replaced.

I know it's not the RCA cables from the pre-amp to the receiver because those are also brand new.

My next step is seeing if it's an issue with the channel I'm using on the receiver or possibly the connections on the stylus itself (as mentioned above).

Thanks again everyone for responding and none of these things work I'll hit you guys back up for some more suggestions.

This last summer I renovated my listening room, moved my Pro-Ject Xpression, amp, speakers, records, the whole thing.

After I was done painting and setting everything back up again I tried playing some records and one of the channels had a noticeable humming going on.

I checked all rca and power cables, ground, amp and whatnot. After a good couple of hours of sweating in the summer heat I realized that somehow, without ever touching them, something went wrong with the cartridge wiring. They probably got tangled up in a bad way while I was moving the thing around the house.

Just moving them apart A LITTLE BIT with a pencil fixed the issue.

Try finding the issue by backtracking.

- Switch the left and right RCA connectors on your receiver's input (so the red one goes to where the white one was and vice versa). If the non-working channel stays the same, it's your receiver's inputs at fault. If the non-working channel switches sides, the problem lies elsewhere.

- Switch the left and right RCA connectors on your preamp's input (the cable running from the table to the preamp). If the non-working channel stays the same, it's your preamp at fault. If the non-working channel switches sides, the problem is either with the turntable's output or the cartridge connections. Check if all four wires on the cart are fully attached.