Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Slightly Slow

Hey guys, i was listening to a record today for the first time in about a week since I've been caught up with school and I noticed that it seems to be playing just slightly slow. It's consistent in the fact that the record plays the same speed the whole time, it's just playing a bit slower then normal. Is there a fix for this?

I checked the belt and it didn't seem to get moved or anything and tried plugging it into a different outlet in case it turned out to be power related. I have a warranty through musiciansfriend so getting a replacement is easy, but I was just curious if maybe I'm missing some sort of simple set up adjustment.

Thank you!

Get iRpm for your phone. Put your phone on the platter and see how slow it is.

How old is the belt? How often do you change between 33/45?

Your belt might be a little stretched

The app # is kind of all over the place but its around 32.9-33.4.

The belt isn't old at all...maybe 4-6 months? 

I've never switched the belt between 33/45.

The app # is kind of all over the place but its around 32.9-33.4.

The belt isn't old at all...maybe 4-6 months? 

I've never switched the belt between 33/45.

A stretched belt won't give you a consistent speed difference, that needs motor control of some sort, be it just voltage drop or adjustment in the speed control but belt slip will never be consistent.

If the software is correct then that difference is not really enough to worry about, worst case is -0.4rpm which is an error of 1.2%, I expect it's either your ears playing tricks on you or a even a bad pressing or if it is fluctuating as the software is showing that is possibly what you are hearing.

Project quote +/- 0.8% speed error so the speed range the software has given you would just about be within limits and I expect there is a fair amount of error in just moving the phone when you are checking it.

To get an accurate check download a strobe disc, print it out and then run the turntable with the lights in the room on, you will soon see if the speed is out and if it is fluctuating. there are plenty of you tube videos showing you how to use a strobe disc and places to download them for free.

Ok then if you are sure get a strobe disc, it sounds like the app is not giving you an accurate answer.

You can obviously hear a 1.2% error but if a turntable is consistently 1.2% down it is much harder than if it is fluctuating, as I say Project quote +/- 0.8% which means a total allowable variance of 1.6% which they are effectively saying you wont hear and is considered pretty good for a turntable at that price point.

Also if the belt is only 6 months old then it's more likely an actual fault like a failing motor than wear or stretching. For a belt to wear to the point of slipping in that time you have have to live somewhere arid like death valley.

One check is, is it worse with heavyweight records? Slip when present will always be worse on start up.

You also have to consider what you are referencing to and is it accurate speed wise, the only way to know for sure is with a strobe disc.

I have an acrylic platter mat that has a strobe on one side and a cartridge alignment protractor on the other, that came from ebay and I know they are available on ebay US. If I can find the link i will post it for you.

If I'm wrong which isn't out of the bounds of possibility without seeing or hearing it and it is the belt then when you replace it always start the platter with a spin by hand before you start the motor, I had this in the instructions for one of my turntables that has a very heavy (50 or 60lbs) brass platter, because of the stress of starting that mass the helping spin has meant the belt has lasted years and I now do it to all belt drive turntables.

Interesting.  PM me if you need still need help.  I can take a look at the table.  I have a strobe so we can check the real speed of the table.

Might also be wise to get a speed box or something which allows for tuning/control of the rotations.  For VPI tables, there is the VPI SDS.  I believe project tables have the speed box...actually.  I just checked...the Project Speedbox can't be used with the Carbon:

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=speedbox&cat=boxes〈=en

Best to check the belts, any platter resistance etc.

Interesting.  PM me if you need still need help.  I can take a look at the table.  I have a strobe so we can check the real speed of the table.

Might also be wise to get a speed box or something which allows for tuning/control of the rotations.  For VPI tables, there is the VPI SDS.  I believe project tables have the speed box...actually.  I just checked...the Project Speedbox can't be used with the Carbon:

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=speedbox&cat=boxes〈=en

Best to check the belts, any platter resistance etc.

This one works with US Carbons:

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=speedboxs&cat=boxes〈=en

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Another thing I forgot to mention, when I first got the table, the first record or two I listened to had horrible speed fluctuation but eventually went away so I thought maybe the belt just needed to be worn in. 

I'm leaning toward just calling musiciansfriend and getting a replacement (since that's why I bought the warranty in the first place). I was just hoping maybe there was something like the spindle needed to be oiled or something like that.