Monitor Audio RX1 - thoughts?

I still have my pair of Meadowlarks. I noticed recently that they've gotten slightly unmatched in tone and volume, so I decided it was time to replace them.  I had decided on a pair of Monitor RX6's when my wife said I had get bookshelfs and put them in a small nook above where my records go.  :(  It's sort of an experiment.  The RX1's being rear ported, it could end up sounding like shit.  I'm waiting on my speaker cable that I ordered to arrive to set them up.

I still have my pair of Meadowlarks. I noticed recently that they've gotten slightly unmatched in tone and volume, so I decided it was time to replace them.  I had decided on a pair of Monitor RX6's when my wife said I had get bookshelfs and put them in a small nook above where my records go.  :(  It's sort of an experiment.  The RX1's being rear ported, it could end up sounding like shit.  I'm waiting on my speaker cable that I ordered to arrive to set them up.

that sucks.

in the spirit of comprimise, you should put your speakers in the nook...and then knock out a section of the wall immediately behind them.

OR you might get better results using the bungs they give you.

I installed the speakers in their little cubby home.  Way too much bass.  It sounded like a subwoofer was on and set too high. The mids and highs were being drown out by the low end.  I begrudingly put in the bungs and was pleasantly surprised.  It didn't completely kill the bass punch, but made it much more enjoyable to listen to.  Everything sounds great now.  Better imaging that I had experienced at the stereo shop. I'm pretty happy with my purchase.