Monitor Audio RX1 - thoughts?

These are on my shortly list of speakers.  I auditioned them against KEF Q300's, B&W 685's, and the Monitor Audio RX2 at a local shop and I found them to be the best sounding.  The RX2 had more bass and a bigger soundstage, but it was a bit overwhelming.  So, unless you can bring them away from the wall a bit, the RX1's were the way to go. 

I'll probably buy a pair right now.

I've got a set of bx2's in my main system and I think they sound killer and the silver is supposed to be a pretty noticeable step up... I still wish I would have had the money to upgrade to the silver RX line at the time. The price may end up dropping a bit more even as they try to clear out the RX while bringing in the new silver lineup.

Did you order from Audio Advisor?  I haven't seen many discount prices from a legit online retailer.

I did.  I was going to buy them from the local dealer (who offered me a slight discount), but $200 savings is too hard not to pass up.  Normally, they're retail price is their price. No mark downs.  Donnell might be right.

Just listened to a pair of R6s today and they sounded great.  Guy wanted $900 for the pair.  Is that a good deal?

This is an older model they haven't made in a few years.  They retailed at $1000, so $100 off some old stock speakers doesn't seem that great a deal.  If you really liked them, I'd offer them $600. 

Just listened to a pair of R6s today and they sounded great.  Guy wanted $900 for the pair.  Is that a good deal?

New? Used?  Do you mean RX6 or RS6?

I think the *typical* price for RX6s is around $1200 new.  No idea whether there are any deals to be had.  If you were looking at new RX6s, $900 seems like a pretty fair price.   Audio Advisor seems to have a sale price on every product in the Silver line aside from the RX6s but if you applied the average discount across the rest of the line to the current price, it would come out to about $900.

EDIT--Ignore all my jibba-jabba.  If they were an older model as stated above, it's a bum price.

New? Used?  Do you mean RX6 or RS6?

I think the *typical* price for RX6s is around $1200 new.  No idea whether there are any deals to be had.  If you were looking at new RX6s, $900 seems like a pretty fair price.   Audio Advisor seems to have a sale price on every product in the Silver line aside from the RX6s but if you applied the average discount across the rest of the line to the current price, it would come out to about $900.

EDIT--Ignore all my jibba-jabba.  If they were an older model as stated above, it's a bum price.

Im thinking Silver RX6

If you're buying used, there are fare better deals in that price range. Just a few listings worth checking out: 

Have you actually listened to fully broken in RX6's?  I compared them to KEF R500 and R700, a pair of Sonus Fibre somethings, multilple Martin Logan's and B&W's.  The RX6's stood out to me over all of them with the exception of one pair of $5k B&W's.

apparently Audio Advisor doesn't send out shipping notifications....

Just checked their site and my speakers were shipped out yesterday and on a Fedex truck for delivery today.  Glad I didn't pay to upgrade shipping.

Hope to have everything received and connected by tomorrow.  Should be a huge upgrade over my Polks.   Thanks for the feedback!

Have you actually listened to fully broken in RX6's?  I compared them to KEF R500 and R700, a pair of Sonus Fibre somethings, multilple Martin Logan's and B&W's.  The RX6's stood out to me over all of them with the exception of one pair of $5k B&W's.

I did. The RX6 are imo the best iteration in the silver line. I compiled that list above before I read it's the RX6 model, because the RS6 is substantially less refined. Though still, I'd probably go for the Wharfedale or the Triangle model from that list instead of the RX6. The Wharfedale Opus especially, much better performer from my experience.

As for the Sonus Faber, if it was the Toy Tower or the older Concerto Domus you listened to I can believe, but anything else they make simply destroys the RX6. Maybe not the new Venera series, as I was somewhat disappointed (relative to the price) when I auditioned them, but anything from the Liuto up is a whole other league.

The Monitor Audio Gold series though is a world class speaker.

Oh, I love the Venere look, to me they are the most beautiful speaker in their price range, but sound-wise far from what I expected. This might sound biased (well, it is biased), but I'd take my Dali Suite 2.8s over Venere any time, even though the Dalis cost half as much new. And I rarely even listen to them, because I prefer my main speakers. It's not a fair comparison though, I only spent an hour or so with the Venere, and the system itself was a pretty weird combination.

I got my RX-1's today.  I bought them knowing that the metal tweeters were going to sound less than good out of the box, but I was surprised how raspy they sounded.  I'm about an album in and they've already starting to smooth out.  I'm looking forward to hearing them in about another 40 albums.