First Hi-Fi Setup

Hey guys,

So I've been reading up a lot on this forum about turntables and I still need some help deciding on a couple of things. I'd be grateful if you folks could lend a hand.

So far I think I want to go for these components:

Turntable: Denon DP-300F

Amp: Marantz PM6004

If I am not mistaken, I only now need to look at speakers, is that correct? The Denon has a built in pre-amp, but I should disable that and use the Marantz to hook up to my speakers for the best quality, right?

If that's the case, would you guys be so kind to help me pick out some nice speakers? The room I will be in will be about living room size, so I'm guessing I should most likely invest in some solid floor standing speakers.

EDIT: One speaker I've been looking at is the Boston Acoustics A 360. I'd most likely be purchasing two of these for myself.

Thanks guys :)

i dont think you can go wrong with reading Slinch's bible on set ups at the top of the previous page dude

TT <$400

Pro-Ject Debut III ($300) - still available at some places for this price

Pro-Ject Essential ($300)

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon ($400)

Denon DP300F ($320) - inferior in quality to those above, but includes a built-in phono preamp

Speakers - <$500

Epos Epic 1 ($300)
Arx A1b ($300)
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 ($349)
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 450 ($350)
Focal 705V ($350) retail $500
Kef Q100 ($400)
Focal 706V ($450) retail $700
Monitor Audio BX-2 ($450)
Dali Zensor 1 ($500)
Kef Q300 ($500)

and the Marantz is pretty solid if you can get it for a good price

I did read the thread, and saw all of these components there. So far, if I get the Marantz PM6004, Denon DP-300F, and two Boston Acoustics Boston Acoustics A 360's that would be $1037.37 + shipping for me. I just wanted to see if I was missing anything that I'd need and what the community thought of everything.

Also, I'm now thinking of the Marantz PM6005 over the PM6004, didn't know there was a newer model.

EDIT: It looks like my supplier is sold out of the Boston Acoustic A 360's, would anyone recommend the A 250's? They seem inferior, but I've read some good things about them.

Hey guys, some new info:

I completely forgot about an old Denon Quartz DP-23F that my uncle gave me years ago, he took care of it, but sadly I can't say the same for how I took care of it. I'm thinking about ordering the Marantz and some speakers to test it out with and if need be I will buy the turntable after. Now, I'm guessing that the cartridge in this turntable may need to be replaced, is there anything specific I need to know about the procedure for this specific turntable?

Well I went ahead and got the Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR 30's, just waiting on someone here to tell me that the Marantz will work fine with them before I buy it (the Marantz) :P I honestly couldn't resist buying those speakers, they look amazing and from the stuff I've read, more importantly, sound more amazing.

I'm currently working out a shipping problem with the eBay seller, but I put in the offer for $300 and it was accepted, but since they misquoted the shipping they're giving me half off of one speaker. The shipping cost is absolutely ridiculous, $94.72 for each speaker when I was told that would be the total shipping cost.

• 2 weeks later...

If the amp is new send it back as a warranty issue, if it's not by the looks of the thread you haven't had it long so have a word with the seller.

Modern amps are pretty well protected but make sure you haven't done anything silly connection wise like not fitting the shorting links properly or having uninsulated cables that can short momentarily.