First-Time Set Up

Hey VC,

I recently purchased the Audio-Technica AT-LP60 turntable due to a recommendation from a friend and have been hooking it up to an old set of PC speakers that I came across. The sound quality is pretty bad and they give off a ton of unnecessary bass. I was wondering what you guys would recommend investing in ,as far as speakers or other sound equipment, for the best listening experience. Thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer.

-Brandon

First of all, your friend gave you some really bad recommendation there, next time kindly explain to him that you're not taking his word when it comes to audio. :)

Second, you need to state a budget. Because without the budget limit, here's an entry level setup I'd recommend: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Marantz PM6004, Wharfedale Diamond 10.1, Sanus BF24 speaker stands, Blue Jeans speaker cables and interconnects.

Every other thread in this section of VC basically answers this question. Do a little digging and I'm sure you'll find some help or inspiration.

The AT LP-60 is far from great but I guess you could've spent $80 on something worse. If you're serious about vinyl though then you should definitely invest a little more into a table.

Brandon

Slinch and 3arl are spot on and both of the above answer your question perfectly, if you can afford it spend the money and do it properly as it will reward you as you get more music out of your records, but if money is tight you could go the vintage route from thrift stores and the like, the only real downside here is it needs much more research than buying new,  on the upside though if you do buy a pup from a thrift store it's a lot less expensive lesson.

Another route you could go down is the T-Class Amp with Phono-stage if money is tight at the moment, an all in one box for approx $200, then get some decent speakers. Once you get more money upgrade the TT as the T-Class amp is alot of bang for the buck.

See the links below for some more info.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=146750

And some of them have phono stages built in:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-preamp_e.html
http://www.templeaudio.net/bantamphono.html

Seems like a cheap way of getting a decent sound.