XPS-1 - new 'cheap' phono preamp from Emotiva

Here's my review despite it not being broken in yet.

The set up is: VPI Aries Scout with a Denon DL160 cartidge into a Bewitch 6550 driving Monitor Audio RX-1 speakers.  My current phono preamp is a Parasound ZPhono.USB. 

Some initial thoughts.  I don't like the box set up.  I don't like that the inputs and outputs are on opposite sides.  I don't like that there is no power switch.  Also, the loading only works on the MC setting, so most people won't be able to use them.  That being said, I knew all those things going in. 

I had read on AudioKarma that the Emotiva had a good deal of bass, and it does.  On my system, it's a bit too much.  Compared to the Parasound, it was significantly less detailed, however it did leave me wishing the Parasound had a tad more low end.  Still, I found the Emotiva too bloated.  I did some preamp tube rolling and got rid of the overly bloated sound, but it still lacks the clarity of the Parasound.  Normally, as electronics break in they sound warmer, so it might end up sounding even less clear. 

I think if you have a bright or bass shy system to begin with, this would be a great choice.