Limited run linn sondek whiskey wood turntable

jase

Ah the Linn legend continues to feed it's hype. However much it is, it's going to be way too expensive for what it is.

Don't get me wrong its a very nice turntable and arm but never worth what's asked them and to my ears better can be had for less. I've had plenty of LP12's over the years in all sorts of guises and always sold them on very quickly as their monetary value way outstrips their musical value.

Do a bit of research as to how the Linn and it's hype came about it's interesting reading

Don't get me wrong its a very nice turntable and arm but never worth what's asked them and to my ears better can be had for less. I've had plenty of LP12's over the years in all sorts of guises and always sold them on very quickly as their monetary value way outstrips their musical value.

It has been said before: An LP12 is simply an AR-XA with a ton of money thrown at it!

It has been said before: An LP12 is simply an AR-XA with a ton of money thrown at it!

not quite but it is a complete rip off of an Ariston RD11 which copied the intent of the AR, I have had an LP12 and RD11 at the same time and it's scary how interchangeable the parts are.

There is quite a lot written about Ariston and Linn and the sorry end to the tale

not quite but it is a complete rip off of an Ariston RD11 which copied the intent of the AR, I have had an LP12 and RD11 at the same time and it's scary how interchangeable the parts are.

Oh, I agree.  I think that I probably should have put my comments in better context.  My statement above has been tossed about usually when someone is referring to modifying an XA ... that it's such a simple, brilliantly executed design, and with some relatively easy and inexpensive modifications, you can get a sound that comes close in performance to a Linn.

It's more a commentary on the suspended turntable design and how it is incredibly tweak-able.

Oh, I agree.  I think that I probably should have put my comments in better context.  My statement above has been tossed about usually when someone is referring to modifying an XA ... that it's such a simple, brilliantly executed design, and with some relatively easy and inexpensive modifications, you can get a sound that comes close in performance to a Linn.

It's more a commentary on the suspended turntable design and how it is incredibly tweak-able.

Yes my preference has always been for a suspended turntable but the Linn/Ariston story has always jarred with me a bit and like I say I have nothing against the Linn as a piece of engineering it's just the bullshit that goes along with them.

My suspended direct drive is moving along by the way, i've made the main chassis, sub chassis, arm board and the suspension, I've also made my ADC into a 12" arm now.

Next job is to fit all the electronics, wire the arm, test it all out and if it works make a nice plinth for it. I'll post some pictures soon.

Something tells me a VPI or Clearaudio table would outperform this at a (comparatively) more reasonable price.

Yes and no, to my ears a suspended table tends to be more musical which is a personal preference not a hard fact but yes a 10th of that money can buy something very nice from VPI or Clearaudio. Like all of this stuff at this end of the food chain they sound different not really better or worse and it comes down to personal preference, who ever buys that is doing it either just because they can or just to show off.