Insound Closing Its Doors After 16 Years

8 minutes ago, ExtraFox said:

Warning for international buyers. Do not buy from Insound.

I bought a bunch of records from them recently. 40% off and $9.99 international shipping. How could you say no? Total cost of order including shipping was $117.84. Calculated import charges (about £18.50) and UPS handling fee (guesstimated £15). Worth it.

UPS try and deliver it. £60.59 invoice. Items had been valued at $267! That was 1.5 times the cost of them before the 40% discount. No possible reasonable explanation for it. Shipping quoted as $0. Apparently, when compaines quote shipping as zero, the courier is required to assume that $0 is wrong and add a default amount into the calculation. UPS also said they charged me some sort of extra handing charge to do with transport from the airport to the depot... I was too pissed off to remember the details.

I refused to pay the charges and UPS kept the parcel while I tried to deal with Insound. No response to multiple emails that suggested multiple ways of dealing with it. After a few Facebook messages, I got an email that said customers are responsible for any import costs. After telling them that I was going to get my credit card company involved as the items were not as described and a post on their Facebook page saying how appaling their customer service was (they vett them first so it never made it to their page), I got an offer of a full refund (in 3 to 5 business days). Seven working days and two more emails later (the response to one of which was 'you have to wait 3-5 business days' when the 5 business days were up), I got my refund.

So it looks like I might be getting my records for another 30% ish off. Was it worth it? No. There's no excuse for valuing things wrong. It would be understandable (but still not acceptable) if they had set the value at the cost of the records before the discount, but they had managed to pull some even higher figure out of their arse. I had to waste a lot of my time trying to get them to rectify their incompetence.  The worst customer service I have come across. Hells Headbangers and King's Road EU have both dropped a place.

Ouch. I'm waiting on a delivery for the same sale and same delivery. It's been a while since ordered which is why I noticed this thread...!

However, my Welcome10 didn't apply during the order and they promptly replied and refunded that - so I hold out hope!

Sorry you had such trouble.