Help with choosing which preamp for a Pioneer PL 12D II

I picked up a Pioneer PL 12D II the other day at a thrift store for $15 it needs some work but i think its worth it, it has a Empire 2000 E/III cartridge in it... I dont have a pre amp yet, because the previous record players i had are already equipped with a preamp inside it, so whats a good and stable but cheap preamp? Im 16 so i dont have aton of money to buy something crazy, i saw a pyle one for $13 on amazon but i heard that model isnt very stable and breaks within a month, aswell as a poor warrenty policy. what do you guys think? anyone here upgrading their preamps soon? or have one from a previous upgrade their willing to cut me a deal on? And if anyone has a belt for the player, stylus, or a tracking gauge i would be interested in those. One more thing, i know you need a preamp to make it loud But can i plug it straight into my reciever just to test it? before i go ahead and spend however much on a preamp?

Check the beginner's guide. There are more than enough cheap preamps that Slinch listed there. Not really worth re-listing.

You'll need a preamp to play the turntable. If you cranked the amp/receiver to full blast, you might hear something, but you might risk all kinds of terrible things, most importantly, all of your records will magically melt.

Check the beginner's guide. There are more than enough cheap preamps that Slinch listed there. Not really worth re-listing.

You'll need a preamp to play the turntable. If you cranked the amp/receiver to full blast, you might hear something, but you might risk all kinds of terrible things, most importantly, all of your records will magically melt.

im guessing that last part was a joke? And yeah, i was thinking full blast may cause something to be overloaded... i saw the beginners guide. By not reccomended unless for ultra budget use, does that mean not reccomended for a expensive players or not reccomended for anyone? Do you think i fall in that catagory? will the sound quality be terrible?

im guessing that last part was a joke? And yeah, i was thinking full blast may cause something to be overloaded... i saw the beginners guide. By not reccomended unless for ultra budget use, does that mean not reccomended for a expensive players or not reccomended for anyone? Do you think i fall in that catagory? will the sound quality be terrible?

Why would you want the sound quality to be terrible? At that point, unless you've inherited a whole bunch of great records, even a $20 computer speaker with 96k streaming music would sound better. 

Why would you want the sound quality to be terrible? At that point, unless you've inherited a whole bunch of great records, even a $20 computer speaker with 96k streaming music would sound better. 

Im not wanting it to sound bad, im just not able to drop immense amounts of cash on a turntable that i cant guarantee even works yet... i would have to think that even the Art dj pre II is probably atleast similar or better then some of the modern tables pre amps like the audio technica lp60 and lp120. Maybe ill even consider the Pro-ject audio phono box mm for $80 or be cheap and get the $13 one to hold me over till i can save a bit more and get something $80+.

• 3 weeks later...

Did/have you found a source for the drive belt? That will need to be replaced, without doubt. I have a PL 12D. It was a pretty decent, well respected no frills turntable in its day. Low wow and flutter for a reasonable price. Mine has an Audio Technia cartridge.

Wow, haven't thought about this stuff for years.