Thrift Store Setup

Preface: I don't really know too much about stereo equipment. I just tinkered and played around with stuff until I got a result that I thought sounded solid. Let me know if there is something I should do differently or if there is anything I should lookout for at thrift stores.

So the setup I am currently running is comprised of things I have found at local thrift stores except for my record player. I received a Sony PS-LX300USB as a gift. I tried out a couple hand me down stereo receivers that my family had laying around but ended up finding a Hitachi HTA-4001 in good shape for $10 at a goodwill down the street from my house. I got home, tested it out and it worked great. I then started hunting for random speakers for a little under a month and found a set of RCA bookshelf speakers that are 8 ohms nominal, 50 watts RMS, and 100 watt max. I also found a set of slightly larger Sony bookshelf speakers that are 8 ohms and 100 watt max as well. I got home and hooked the Sonys into the A speaker hook ups and the RCA into the B hook ups. I noticed that the Sonys give a good low end and the RCA give a really solid mid to high sound. I have posted some pics below. (also a little peek of my pup Lucy)

Let me know what you guys think.

RECORD_SETUP_1.jpg

RECORD_SETUP.jpg

this is exactly what i did. I spent every weekend for 3 months at goodwills, flea markets and thrift stores buying various turntables, receivers, and speakers. Most sounded like shit/didn't work. But piece by piece i found the right equipment to give me a sound i'm happy with. previously i had been using of those shitty 3 in 1 deals from the 80s. muddy muddy muddy and not very loud. horrible.

hopefully this year for xmas i'll get a brand new turn table or receiver.

Yeah it's pretty fun to hunt for all the equipment. I spent around $40 for my setup (turntable was a gift) and it sounds really good. I really like the way the two different sets of bookshelf speakers sounds. I am saving up for a brand new setup but I am ways off and already pretty content with my sound. All the technical stereo stuff can get so overwhelming. I feel like I need to take a class before I start diving into it.

A turntable works off of reading vibrations within the grooves of a record. If there are extra vibrations from amps, the intended vibrations are mislead, causing improper sound and background noise.

Oh okay. I didn't know that an amp could cause that much vibration. I am going to try and rearrange everything. Thanks for the tip

i've had it a couple years. got it for christmas 2010 i believe.

i think it sounds great, but i don't really have that keen an ear. the only problem is that it does this thing.. i'll drop the needle and it will return itself immediately. it requires so much freakin' tinkering to just play sometimes, so that's kind of annoying.

Yeah mine does some funky stuff occasionally when I am trying to start and stop it.

One thing I can't stand is how awkward the little handle to pick up the arm is. It comes out at a weird angle and is too close to get your finger under without bumping the cartridge.

Have you had that problem?

my tape deck was a free find. My aunt had it sitting in her attic, I was pretty stoked about that. other than my turntable the most expensive piece was my receiver which I paid about 120 for. got my speakers on sale (50% off at amazon) my setup is most defineatly a budget setup, but I love it. 

i've had it a couple years. got it for christmas 2010 i believe.

i think it sounds great, but i don't really have that keen an ear. the only problem is that it does this thing.. i'll drop the needle and it will return itself immediately. it requires so much freakin' tinkering to just play sometimes, so that's kind of annoying.

My friend's does that too sometimes. VERY annoying. 

Oh okay. I didn't know that an amp could cause that much vibration. I am going to try and rearrange everything. Thanks for the tip

FWIW, cartridges are pretty susceptible to picking up electromagnetic noise, which amplifiers and particularly the power supplies of most all components do a lot of. So more reasons why it would be smart to rearrange everything!

FWIW, cartridges are pretty susceptible to picking up electromagnetic noise, which amplifiers and particularly the power supplies of most all components do a lot of. So more reasons why it would be smart to rearrange everything!

Would it be okay on top of my tape deck if my tape deck is off?

In theory, yes. It's still not the best place for your turntable though.

I moved my things around since I had posted the picture above. I moved the two smaller speakers over on top of the other larger speakers to give me more room for my components. I have my stereo to the right of my tv and then to the right of that my turntable is stacked on my tape deck. Would I be better off stacking my tape deck on my stereo and have my record player by itself?