Alignment Question: Too Much Twist?

hi

decide to align my cartridge today, due to some channel imbalance, i used the technics arc protractor (baerwald). i lined everything up as should be, hitting all 3 points. but when i lighned up the cantilever to run parallel with the grid lines the cartridge is turned in towards the spindle. now i know that this is normal, but to what extent? so my question is, how much inward twist is too much? Am i just being paranoid or is this actually too much twist?

20140423_150108.jpg

20140423_150223.jpg

Nope, you're fine!  "Twist" the cartridge as much or as little as you need to align the cantilever with the grid ... providing you've got the proper overhang ... which it sounds like you've done.

And nothing weird about the photo.  You're probably just not used to seeing a cartridge that isn't perfectly lined up in the headshell ... but that's because most people don't know how to align a cartridge properly.

By the way, I love arc protractors.  Best-sounding alignment I've gotten on my turntable.  Of course, you have to fine one that is specified for your tonearm's particular mounting distance, but once you figure that out, they're so easy and accurate to use.

Bearchuck s spot on, most people don't actually align their cartridge against a protractor, but rather just get it perpendicular to the front of the headshell which is wrong.

Remember that most turntables designed for home listening (not for DJs) don't even have headshells, so a crooked cart doesn't seem like a big deal there.

• 1 year later...

Your alignment geometry should be for your tonearm, not your table (correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my understanding). There's really only a few different ones that people use, if you can't find any information online I'd suggest just printing a few on paper and trying them to see which sounds best.

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

Your alignment geometry should be for your tonearm, not your table (correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my understanding). There's really only a few different ones that people use, if you can't find any information online I'd suggest just printing a few on paper and trying them to see which sounds best.

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

thanks man.  probably start with the stupid and move on to the stevenson if that doesn't work.