Antique radio repair... 1963 RCA Victor

So I am pretty bummed. I took my beloved, old school stereo console in for repairs and the estimate has me floored. I mean it wasn't entirely unexpected, but still.

I guess I am posting about it because I am looking for you guys to tell me, "Definitely not worth it. Get a new system." or "He's ripping you off man!"

Little history...

I've had it for two years. Purchased cheap and it's served me well despite a small hole in one of the speaker grille cloths (which has gotten progressively bigger thanks to my son).

I was finally motivated to bring it for repair after it started struggling to spin records. It couldn't maintain speed and would wheeze to a stop.

Anyways, here's what he said:

"Just as a preliminary evaluation with all the components involved
I wanted to be clear with the work going forward.

We have 4 main components to deal with plus take-apart, reassembly & testing as a complete system,
amplifier, tuner-preamplifier, phono, & speakers w/ grille cloth.

I see this going over $500 but under $1,000.
Not to scare you off but this was a very high end stereo in its day
and still very desirable today as a TUBE stereo.
I see sellers on eBay pulling just the amplifier out and selling for $200 to $300.
What a shame to tear-apart a nice system like this.

So, I think its worth repairing but need you to be comfortable, too.
They will never make anything like this again!

We will have a closer estimate within 2-weeks as we start troubleshooting & repairing, starting with the amp,
then moving forward to the next component.

OK, to proceed ?" 

So... what do you guys think? I know nothing about antiques. I know little about systems (I just want to play my records). What would you do?

I think what the repair guy is doing, is over quoting, so that he will be within budget. And the price quoted is for replacing or repairing all four components.

You could try and take some of that work on yourself. Take your time, learn about the components and how they work. It will be extremely self satisfying