PSA:HIFIMAN HE-300 headphones, half off

AudioAdvisor is clearing out the HIFIMAN HE-300 headphones for half off.  They're normally $299, on sale for $149.  These are considered a good deal at the original price, and an amazing value at half off.  I just ordered a pair to upgrade my Grado SR60i's.  These are the only headphones in HIFIMAN's catalog that don't require additional amplification, so they can be used with everything.  Grab em while you can!

I received my pair today.  The first listen was underwhelming.  When I directly compared them to my Grado SR60i's, the HE-300's have a bigger sound stage, more bass, and less forward midrange.  The Grados are slightly more clear and have more of a 3D sound to the high midrange and highs.  The is slight grain to some music but as the drivers break in, I expect that to smooth out.  They are way more comfortable than the Grados.  

Since if I bought the pair of headphones I really want (the Audeze LCD-3s), my wife would kill me, these will do for a while.  I just wish there was slightly more air and detail.

what are you using to drive them?  they say that they are drivable with any source...but they say that about their HE-400s too.

I've just been using my MacBook Pro, no DAC or anything.  I have a headphone amp on order (Schiit Vali) since my stereo doesn't have a headphone jack.  the 300 isn't a planar driver, so it's fine.  They're slightly less sensitive than the Grados, but there's no major issue.  I think the 400 is a planar driver, so an amp would be necessary, I think.

interested to hear about your experiences when you get the headphone amp.  I am currently using the headphone output on my integrated.  debating picking up a Schiit Magni or maybe an Asgard.

I've heard the Asgard 2 with LCD-3's.  It sounded okay.  Not as good as the Burson Soloist SL, but it's less the half the price of that.  I didn't like the Valhalla at all, at least not with LCD-2's or 3's.  I'm hoping it like the Vali since I want to love that company for so many reasons.

I have never heard any of their amps, I mostly just like the Asgard's feature set.  The pre-amp outs are nice to have.

bought a Modi a while ago because I needed an inexpensive optical DAC to use with an Apple TV and it sounds completely fine to me.

but yeah...I readily admit that I am a complete sucker for their design approach, aesthetics, and marketing style. 

If you haven't already, you should read the co-founder's chapter a week book being posted over on head-fi.   it's a good read.

• 1 month later...

Got a pair of these for my birthday and they are fantastic. These are my first hifi headphones and I am not disappointed in the least bit with the quality of sound or the comfort. The only negative point for me is the cable, which is the most common complaint about these. I think I am going to make my own cable for these to replace it at some point. Definitely worth the price point on these guys.