Anyone else receive a Risc store mystery CD? (Streetlight Manifesto?)

I did searches for Risc store and Streetlight Manifesto, couldn't find anything. 

I got a CD in the mail from Risc store. It has no band or title, but the track listing is the same from Hands That Thieve. I thought that they sent it by mistake so I went to their website to contact them, but all their contact info was down and they had this message:

MYSTERY GIFT SHIPMENTS: all we can say is hang tight a little longer. We're going over everything here and, according to our timeline, we hope to have every last gift cd in the mail by July 28th.

Now the contact option is back up.

So I figured they sent these CDs to people who have ordered in the past. I opened it, but the CD is blank, no data. Car, stereo and computer play nothing. No tracks. Weird.

10559759_10152559803563076_1543784355267

Risc said that this is an intentionally blank CD (that can be burned, but the bottom is CD silver, not CDr blue) with a "poem book" that happens to be the lyrics of Hands That Thieve. They said contact the SM fanbase if I need the mp3s to burn.

Hello there.
It was just over a year ago that our record "The Hands That Thieve" came out, and it was quite the nightmare for us. We won't bore you all with the details of our battles against the record label we were unfortunately signed to, so here's some actual news that will affect everyone that placed a pre-order through our webstore. As you remember the label in question refused to send us our own cd's so that we could fulfill preorders and has since refused to pay any royalties from any of the money our music makes them. Members of the band have only seen the record at shows, when you guys bring them and ask us to sign them. But we'll get to that at a later date. Today we are announcing that we will immediately begin shipping the "mystery gift" we promised those of you that ordered the cd a year ago.

We were determined to make sure those of you that supported us when we were down and struggling would get something as good as or even better than the cd you'd hoped would end up making a home in your cd collection. This is what we will be sending you: It's a cardboard digipak cd case. Inside you will find a 24 page booklet, chock full of photographs and poems (10 poems, to be exact). Also in this cd case is a blank cd, with a lovely design printed on its front surface. You can use the blank cd to store your digital files, as a coaster, or even to burn your favorite songs. Any songs you want to put on it, you can put on it. You can put any amount of songs on it, as long as that amount will fit on a standard CD-R. You can burn 2 songs, 30 songs or even 10 songs, it's up to you. You can find music to burn onto the cd on the internet, or even ask fellow fans of bands you like to share their favorite songs so you can burn them, as long as you do so legally, or whatever. Then when you're done burning the cd (it takes a few minutes, but it's really quite simple to do), you can put the cd on your shelf, in your car, wherever. There are no words on the cd (besides the poems), no bar codes, no logos, no mean-hearted little dogs, nothing. It's just a blank cd that we're providing for you, along with a booklet of poetry and photography. That said, this will be a limited edition item, obviously. Once we're done sending them out to those of you that preordered the album and chose to wait to see what the mystery gift was, we will sell off however many we have left and that will be the end of that.

So! We're going to be very busy for the next few weeks while we wade through our seemingly never-ending list of addresses and package and send off a couple thousand of these little guys. Please bear with us while we ship these out (remember we are a tiny outfit). We know you've been patient for the last year and we cannot stress enough how much we appreciate it. If you have any questions, shoot us an email at [email protected] or call us at (213) 278-0283.

For those of you that might feel that we've left you a little too much in the dark regarding all of this; we can only apologize (and we do, wholeheartedly) and offer you this explanation: We've had an extremely difficult year and a half dealing with an awful, awful record label and their lawyers. We plan on telling the entire story eventually but we simply cannot now, while it's still unfolding, for legal reasons. 

Thanks again for your support and understanding. See you tomorrow, for more and potentially equally awesome news.

Yep, I wrote out this big thing explaining it to you, but obviously they said it better...

Anyway, let me know if you'd be willing to sell it.

I had pre-ordered the Toh Kay vinyl that was supposed to be released that was never able to happen. RISC never sent me a refund for it, so I e-mailed them a couple times asking if I could be placed on the list to receive one of these, but never got a response. I might try again now that they are actually sending them out, because I'd really rather have one of these and let them keep the money from the order I placed so long ago.

So yeah, if you're thinking of selling it, hit me up!

For one second I thought this was cool and then my thoughts immediately shifted to "this shit is so effing old -- just be the better person and move on."

Trying to be that "sly" seems like it could bend them in court. Seems similar to the napster defense -- "we don't support the theft of music, we just provide a tool that is designed to do so."

I guess, who cares when your band is wrapping up.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, I wrote out this big thing explaining it to you, but obviously they said it better...

Anyway, let me know if you'd be willing to sell it.

I had pre-ordered the Toh Kay vinyl that was supposed to be released that was never able to happen. RISC never sent me a refund for it, so I e-mailed them a couple times asking if I could be placed on the list to receive one of these, but never got a response. I might try again now that they are actually sending them out, because I'd really rather have one of these and let them keep the money from the order I placed so long ago.

So yeah, if you're thinking of selling it, hit me up!

Send them another email or call them again. They have a new person running the store and it's less dysfunctional now. RISC almost went bankrupt via the shit with Victory so there was a lot of chaos going on over there. I preordered the new Toh Kay release (You by Me vol II) and got it a few days ago. Try them again and they'll make it right. 

I guess, who cares when your band is wrapping up.

I mean, the only thing that's changing is that they aren't going to be a full time touring band anymore? They're going on tour in October and will probably turn shit out faster without being on the road 9 months out of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah they're not giving it up that's why the name of the final tour was "The End of the Beginning." They're just starting a new chapter where they can each pursue their individual interests without having to be a band first. Some are teachers, are in other bands on the side, or are starting families.

This actually made me think of something with the original BOTAR cd they put out. A looong time ago I remember them saying that there would be a special reward for all of those who purchased the hand made cd. You would have to provide a piece of information from the liner notes, and they were going to send you something.

That note was the final mention of it.

In any case, I've got the BOTAR cd, the Everything Goes Numb demo cd, and I would love to have this blank cd to add to the collection. May have to hit them up and at least ask.

This actually made me think of something with the original BOTAR cd they put out. A looong time ago I remember them saying that there would be a special reward for all of those who purchased the hand made cd. You would have to provide a piece of information from the liner notes, and they were going to send you something.

In any case, I've got the BOTAR cd, the Everything Goes Numb demo cd, and I would love to have this blank cd to add to the collection. May have to hit them up and at least ask.

I've gotta find one of those originals, I've been searching for ages. I got into them a few years too late. I was too young to be into music, let alone getting CDs online when BOTAR did that. 

Is the Demo CD also hand packaged? or is it one of the ones they made that came out when they repressed Call to Arms in the white cardboard case?

edit: also, they were planning on selling the rest after all the orders were shipped so they should become available.

2dbj8ci.jpg

Much more professional packaging.  Very cool, though.  The BOTAR cd is one of my favorite things though, both for the packaging and the music.  Incredibly cool piece to have for a group like this.

Also, good to know that they'll be putting the leftovers up online.  It looks like they pressed a ton of these, so it seems inevitable.  I actually haven't thrown any of their stuff on in a good while, so this is a good opportunity to go on a  Thomas binge.

2dbj8ci.jpg

Much more professional packaging.  Very cool, though.  The BOTAR cd is one of my favorite things though, both for the packaging and the music.  Incredibly cool piece to have for a group like this.

Also, good to know that they'll be putting the leftovers up online.  It looks like they pressed a ton of these, so it seems inevitable.  I actually haven't thrown any of their stuff on in a good while, so this is a good opportunity to go on a  Thomas binge.

Ah yeah! I've got that too. It looks great it's super well done. Yeah they should be putting them up online eventually. My life is a Tomas binge haha

Sold mine on eBay for $3. Got a lot of messages from people saying "I forgot to bid."