FUCK MIA

Man, I just put on Combat Rock and realized today that the song "Straight to Hell" is the same fucking thing as MIA's song "Paper Planes". I hate that cunt more than I could hate Britney Spears having a love child with Perez Hilton, raised by Donny Osmond and Lisa Lamponelle then engaged to Andy Dick. Seriously, fuck that bitch.

What's wrong w/ sampling the Clash? Others have done it in the past and I think it's tastefully done in "Paper Planes." I could be wrong, but I vaguely recall an interview where M.I.A. stated she sampled it partially as an ode to the Clash.

You never really explain why you're mad either, you're just shouting off some immature gibberish. That song has been out for almost a year now, where have you been?

What's wrong w/ sampling the Clash? Others have done it in the past and I think it's tastefully done in "Paper Planes." I could be wrong, but I vaguely recall an interview where M.I.A. stated she sampled it partially as an ode to the Clash.

You never really explain why you're mad either, you're just shouting off some immature gibberish. That song has been out for almost a year now, where have you been?

Oh, I've been around. I have had to listen to my radio station play that goddamn song for the past year. I really just cannot stand her. Her music is bland and she rides on the fact that she was a street preformer for so long and then she made it big. She just isn't good. The only redeeming quality about it is that its catchy, but that can be said about Fall Out Boy or cute is what we aim for or anything else along those lines. I know they are completely different styles, but each of those are perpetuated by the same hype churn that produces artists with nothing truely redeeming about them.

Are you kidding? MIA is one of the most solid hip-hop artists out there. The fact that she, or her producers, recognize Straight To Hell is a testament to their good taste. Some of the people on this board need to open their minds to more genres. Also, if you want to get mad about someone ripping off Straight To Hell, listen to the Menzingers butcher it on their album.

Also, I should add, that when the Loved Ones played here a couple of months ago they played "Paper Planes" over the PA and strategically start the first song after one of the gunshot choruses. Open your minds people.

Are you kidding? MIA is one of the most solid hip-hop artists out there. The fact that she, or her producers, recognize Straight To Hell is a testament to their good taste. Some of the people on this board need to open their minds to more genres. Also, if you want to get mad about someone ripping off Straight To Hell, listen to the Menzingers butcher it on their album.

Also, I should add, that when the Loved Ones played here a couple of months ago they played "Paper Planes" over the PA and strategically start the first song after one of the gunshot choruses. Open your minds people.

What song did they open with?

What song did they open with?

Pretty Good Year

Oh, I've been around. I have had to listen to my radio station play that goddamn song for the past year. I really just cannot stand her. Her music is bland and she rides on the fact that she was a street preformer for so long and then she made it big. She just isn't good. The only redeeming quality about it is that its catchy, but that can be said about Fall Out Boy or cute is what we aim for or anything else along those lines. I know they are completely different styles, but each of those are perpetuated by the same hype churn that produces artists with nothing truely redeeming about them.

I'm going to referenced the bold lines above.

The first part is subjective. I cannot decide what is "bland" for you, but I can defend her music as it is anything but. M.I.A. is taking music from Sri Lanka and the like and mixing it w/ sounds from the UK and American hip-hop. She is a very diverse artist and no two of her songs sound the same. There's upbeat numbers, hip-hop bangers, world music, dance, etc, etc...

Also, Maya never rode the coattails of being a street performer to gain popularity. She gained popularity from filming which lead her to in touch with Peaches and it snowballed from there. I thiiiiiiiiink that was back in 2003 and her mixtape dropped in 2004, so even if she did gain popularity from street performances it was that long of a time period.

The second part of your argument doesn't really make sense. Yes M.I.A. gained a lot of her popularity based on hype, however, not too many folks outside of the blogosphere cared about Arular. It wasn't until Kala came out and now "Paper Planes" being featured all over the place did she really become popular. Hype is everywhere and shows up in different shapes and forms. I first heard Bomb the Music Industry because my friends were hyping them up, should I not listen to them?

I don't care if you don't like M.I.A., but don't make blatantly false statements, it makes you look silly.

Also, how could you not know that the song sampled "Straight to Hell" right off the bat? Are you sure you're even that big of a fan of the Clash?

Saying it's "exactly the same" is a pretty ridiculous stretch.

Her producers took like 10 seconds of it, sped it up, and added drums and claps, and I think it's rather tastefully done.

It's just as much a rip-off of Wreckx-N-Effect's "Rump Shaker" ("all I wanna do is zoom-azoom zoom zoom and a boom boom") as it is "Straight to hell". She also takes the chorus of "Where is my Mind" by the Pixies elsewhere on the album.

I mean, if your going to trash a song just because theres a recognisable sample in it, you'll have to trash 90% of rap music.

She's the Hipster darling of the moment, and alot of times her tracks sound like someone throwing a keyboard down some stairs (although fellow hipster darlings Crystal Castles has her beat in that respect), but "Paper Planes" is a pretty unfrontable jam.

Hearts Revolution is the new Crystal Castles.

CYOA is the next soon to be popular song i hate.

see here

But i find its funny when people on this board hate on MIA yet praise the most generic pop punk bullshit. Seriously, Bad Religion and Pennwise are still around?

I dont even really like MIA, but at least her shit has a little bit more style and subatance than a lot of stuff out there...especially when it comes to mainstream rap.. and this board, she is fucking miles above in terms of quality.

run-on sentences?

yes please.

MIA - Paper Planes (Holy Fuck Remix)

not great, but kind of interesting...especially if you like Holy Fuck at all. i give it 6/10.

sound alright to me.

but seriously, you want to tell me with a straight face that Bad Religion and Pennywise are not some of the most formulaic bands around?

I'm not saying that but it's possible that some people just like that and don't like MIA. Everyone has different taste and some folks may just dig the formula of versechorusversechorusbridgechorus.

Until there's some way to rate music in a quantifiable manner it's all opinions and it's not hard to imagine people who love formula based punk wouldn't like a Shri Lankin street rapper.

I personally have awful musical taste though (as witnessed by no one wanting to buy 99% of my vinyl ever), so I may not like her because I like shit music.