Horror Movies

Anyone into horror films here? Wondered if anyone has seen any decent horror in the cinema/Netflix/wherever lately?

The last horror movie I heard about being great and super scary was The Conjuring, but I thought it was total shit. Interesting to read that Diamanda Galas did some of the music/ambience.

I am the horror master. There really hasn't been anything that great in recent years. The last GREAT horror movie that I could consider to be a classic was Trick R' Treat. That and You're Next.

The Conjuring was decent, but not anything special. I liked Sinister a lot but it was more suspenseful than horror. The V/H/S series is worth checking out too in recent stuff.

I am the horror master. There really hasn't been anything that great in recent years. The last GREAT horror movie that I could consider to be a classic was Trick R' Treat. That and You're Next.

The Conjuring was decent, but not anything special. I liked Sinister a lot but it was more suspenseful than horror. The V/H/S series is worth checking out too in recent stuff.

You're Next was excellent.

Probably not strictly horror but UK movie Kill List was the best horror/terror film I've seen in ages.

I thought The Conjuring was beyond bad - just very boring haunted house stuff. I missed You're Next but it did look good.

I just got around to watching REC 3 - Genesis. Nowhere near as good as the first two.

I actually started a "horror" topic a while ago that hasn't been bumped in a while. I guess it would be a good time now since Halloween is coming up!

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/84323-the-official-horror-fan-topic/?fromsearch=1

Oop I didn't see that sorry! Can threads be merged or something?

Does anyone else collect the Scream Factory blu rays? They are a horror fans dream come true, I can't wait for the Nightbreed directors cut to be released in October.

As far as recent movies go, I recently watched a good little horror/thriller called Blue Ruin. I'd recommend it for those who are into revenge type movies. Another surprisingly decent movie I saw was one called Would You Rather. It starred Jeffrey Combs along with some other familiar faces. It's a twisted spin on the would you rather game.

I watch a lot of horror movies. A lot. There has been a lot of good low budget, off the grid stuff that has come out lately. Here are a few rad ones I think should be caught:

- 13 Sins- manipulative horror, aka Would You Rather or Cheap Thrills

- Jug Face- backwoods voodoo done very intelligently. Rosemary's Baby meets Deliverance

- Open Grave- twisty turny virus infused flick that takes the already overdone genre in an interesting direction

- The Battery- zombie flick that focuses less on the undead and more on the bond between the seemingly last two men left alive. Also, one of the best soundtracks I've heard in some time.

We Are What We Are- a daughter deciding between a dark tradition and her own identity. Really intelligently done.

100 Bloody Acres- Austrailian horror comedy done well

The Sacrament- Ti West (House of the Devil, the Inkeepers) really can't do any wrong

Oculus- cheesy, predictable garbage. Avoid at all costs.

As Above So Below- see above