Sudden hum in my system that won't go away despite seemingly proper grounding?

My VP130 was working fine in my setup for the most part, but yesterday I was fiddling with my setup to try to get rid of some static. I connected the ground screw of my pre to a ground screw on my house, but after finding that didn't help, I decided to remove the speaker wire I used to do that. Now there is a loud hum that won't go away unless I hook that extra ground back up, and even still it is still more noticeable than before. My turntable is properly grounded to the pre like it used to be before this issue arose so I don't understand what went wrong. Any advice?

The hell? House ground screw?

You're using speaker cable as a ground?

I'm so confused.

Sorry I didn't word it well. I've heard people say they've fixed hums and such by taking a speaker cable from their setup to something like plumbing to divert any extra electricity as a final grounding point. I basically connected the ground screw on my preamp to a screw in the wall of my house as a ground. Is that a bit more coherent?

The hell? House ground screw?

You're using speaker cable as a ground?

I'm so confused.

I'm still worried/confused by all of this and am pretty certain there's going to be smoke soon.

For something to be a ground/earth it either has to be part of your electrical ground wiring which connects directly to a ground spike at the electrical sub station or wired to a ground spike in your garden not just a random screw sticking out of a wall.

The use of plumbing as a ground path depends on where in the world you are as some places bond the plumbing to the electrical ground and some don't.

If you have a hum in your system something in the audio chain isn't grounded properly so refer to the two paragraphs above and I expect as it all worked before it's just a simple bad connection somewhere.

A good earth is all to do with the resistance between your ground point and the actual earth itself so I would expect your random screw in the wall to measure somewhere in the megohm range and be about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I'm still worried/confused by all of this and am pretty certain there's going to be smoke soon.

For something to be a ground/earth it either has to be part of your electrical ground wiring which connects directly to a ground spike at the electrical sub station or wired to a ground spike in your garden not just a random screw sticking out of a wall.

The use of plumbing as a ground path depends on where in the world you are as some places bond the plumbing to the electrical ground and some don't.

If you have a hum in your system something in the audio chain isn't grounded properly so refer to the two paragraphs above and I expect as it all worked before it's just a simple bad connection somewhere.

A good earth is all to do with the resistance between your ground point and the actual earth itself so I would expect your random screw in the wall to measure somewhere in the megohm range and be about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Gotcha, it wasn't really a good idea in retrospect. But now I've ditched the weird screw thing all together and am noticing the hum that wasn't there before. I wouldn't think I could've damaged my system that bad just from hooking a wire from the ground screw to a metal screw, but am I wrong about that?

• 1 month later...