Emerson Sounder 1 Radio/Phono

Hello folks, I'm new to collecting vinyl and on a whim I picked up this portable turntable on ebay. I have a few questions I'd like to ask about it since I can't seem to find any infomation about it online. I'm hoping one of you had some experience with one. Anyhow...

How is the sound quality? Is it stereo or mono? What needle does it use should I have to replace it? What year was this made?

I was thinking if the sound quality wasn't very good I could replace the internal speakers with modern ones. Is that something I can even do?

Any infomation helps!

What you bought, I would not recommend EVER playing your records on.

You have no idea the condition of the stylus. Or the proper tonearm balance. Or anything. This was essentially a kid's toy.

Read this: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/88504-beginner%E2%80%99s-guide-to-turntables-hi%E2%80%93fi-read-1st-page-before-posting-new-threads-basic-questions/

Emerson was the king of cheap Walmart crap in the late 80's/90's.  If there is any justice in the world, they are long out of business.

The format doesn't really lend itself to portability.  Turntables don't like to be moved and the media doesn't travel well.

What is your purpose in looking for a portable vintage player?  If you just want something for aesthetics, go ahead and get whatever looks best to stick on the shelf but it won't sound good and will burn through records pretty quickly if you actually use it.

If you have some sort of unique situation that requires you to move your setup from place to place regularly, you'd be better served with some sort of turntable/DJ flight case type situation or just go digital.

I wanted something portable as to move it upstairs or downstairs when I want to listen to some music. Plus I wanted something compact because I don't have the room for a stereo set up.

I can care less about its aesthetic value because I'm not out to impress anyone. Just wanted something compact and simple as I am a family man who enjoys listening to good music but space is limited. Very limited.

I'll reword my question as to better understand . As I am in no way a vinyl connoisseur nor do I pretend to be. I just want to listen to records I've had since I was a child and my father's collection. I believe there is something that only a record can bring when listening to music over digital files. Anyhow to get to the point as there appears to be no good portable players are there any decent ones that will do for my porpoises? Since the Emerson is just a cheap model is there a decent portable model I can go with?

I'm not expecting a mind blowing set up. I just want something simple, portable, sounds decent and won't ruin the vinyl.

The problem with anything portable is that it is made from the cheapest of cheap parts so with whatever you get aesthetics won't be the issue.

The sound quality will be no better than a low quality mp3 and the quality control with these things is very bad so if you are lucky it will track the grooves properly without prematurely wearing them.

I'm not trying to be elitist or snobby about these things but the sad truth is they are cheap rubbish that is made to milk a growing market for maximum profit.

If space is the problem then a digital player would be by far your best option.

For your vinyl you need to make yourself some space for something that will do a half decent job,it doesn't need to be expensive, big or new but it does need to play records properly.

I wanted something portable as to move it upstairs or downstairs when I want to listen to some music. Plus I wanted something compact because I don't have the room for a stereo set up.

I can care less about its aesthetic value because I'm not out to impress anyone. Just wanted something compact and simple as I am a family man who enjoys listening to good music but space is limited. Very limited.

I'll reword my question as to better understand . As I am in no way a vinyl connoisseur nor do I pretend to be. I just want to listen to records I've had since I was a child and my father's collection. I believe there is something that only a record can bring when listening to music over digital files. Anyhow to get to the point as there appears to be no good portable players are there any decent ones that will do for my porpoises? Since the Emerson is just a cheap model is there a decent portable model I can go with?

I'm not expecting a mind blowing set up. I just want something simple, portable, sounds decent and won't ruin the vinyl.

This is exactly what digital media is for. 

136029_orig.jpg

fine, but how old are the porpoises, what do they eat between 72 and 48 hours prior to harvesting the tears, and what is the exact PH of the water in which they swim?

Tears are harvested within 3 hours of birth.

newborn porpoise-calfs are immediately moved to a tank of Type I lab grade water and then poked in the eye with a sterile 10 awg eye-poker.

As every audiophile knows, you cannot measure the PH level of de-ionized porpoise water, but given that we only use perfect water the PH is assumed to be exactly 7.0 at 25 C.