PO Now: Of Monsters and Men - Beneath The Skin

I went through it twice so far. I am a huge fan of their first release, but this was pretty bland. So much so that I went ahead and canceled my order for the white vinyl version. I may pick it up somewhere down the line, but I'm not in a hurry to get it.

This was my fear.  I really liked their first one.  But "Crystals" is pretty, as you put it, bland.  Not necessarily bad.  But every song on their first release was great.  I picked up their first one for $15, so I can probably find this one cheaper down the line.  

I listened to this last night. I agree that it is bland. It sounds like they didn't progress or change much from their first album, and all the songs sound very similar. I'll probably give it a few more listens, but I'm glad, for now, that it wasn't released on vinyl yesterday when I went to pick it up at my local record store.

• 1 month later...

Got this on vinyl yesterday, the regular clear version (pretty mad I didn't see the Icelandic one had two bonus tracks, would've ordered that one) but the album sounds really great on vinyl. A lot of depth, really natural heavy sounds. Made me like the album a bit more since I could make out all the little parts and effects in it. Also didn't even realize "crystals" had acoustic guitar going through the entire time, could only hear it on the vinyl version, to be fair I only heard the song on the radio so perhaps that's why.

Edit: I will also agree, after the first three songs the album gets pretty bland. Hopefully its a grower, but in comparison to their first album its not nearly as great, nor catchy IMO. Overall, a decent follow-up.

Also, the die-cutting is cool looking and all, but it was done a LOT better on that RSD 7". They may as well just have printed it the way it looks.

Got this on vinyl yesterday, the regular clear version (pretty mad I didn't see the Icelandic one had two bonus tracks, would've ordered that one) but the album sounds really great on vinyl. A lot of depth, really natural heavy sounds. Made me like the album a bit more since I could make out all the little parts and effects in it. Also didn't even realize "crystals" had acoustic guitar going through the entire time, could only hear it on the vinyl version, to be fair I only heard the song on the radio so perhaps that's why.

Edit: I will also agree, after the first three songs the album gets pretty bland. Hopefully its a grower, but in comparison to their first album its not nearly as great, nor catchy IMO. Overall, a decent follow-up.

Also, the die-cutting is cool looking and all, but it was done a LOT better on that RSD 7". They may as well just have printed it the way it looks.

Oh this is great news, thank you! I will probably buy this version.

The two bonus track are not so good IMO, so don't be too mad about it.  :D

• 3 months later...

Well this thread went silent. The box set came out in August. It comes with two LPs (looks like black with a bit of grey, kind of like the BSM limited version of Caspian's Dust and Disqiuet), a 4-song 10” Bonus Track LP, a selection of handwritten lyric prints, four randomly selected photos of the band from recording and a fold out poster.

$139.98 before shipping in the USA (clear still available in the USA too for $34.98. Cheaper on Discogs). £140 before shipping in the UK (and still mentions a signed litho for the first 200 orders).

http://www.ofmonstersandmenbts.com/store.php

http://store.universalmusic.com/ofmonstersandmen/*/*/Limited-Edition-Deluxe-Box-Set-Lithograph-Bundle-First-200-Lithographs-Signed/4MQZ0000000

Any sane person is preparing to post EZ pass at this point. Still not exactly cheap, but it's also up at Barnes and Noble as an exclusive for $139.99 with free shipping (I think). Big deal, you say. B&N regularly do 15% off codes (and their international shipping is pretty reasonable. I've recently started using them). Right now, use 6NS7UGU349S3X. Good for two more days. Makes it $118.99

So I was one of the "not so sane" people who bought the box set early on because I'm a really big fan of the band. The picture they show on the website isn't completely accurate. In my box I got a clear with black swirls for Disc 1 and Disc 2 was the variant they show in the picture. The bonus 10" is black. The extras are cool to have but if you're a casual fan I would suggest not splurging on it. Not knocking the album itself I really enjoy it but wanted to inform everyone on it now. That's why we're all here, right?

• 1 month later...