Diabetes Thread

At least 2 on here. Other guy has it in his name I think. I'm a terrible role model. I have a pump and am going to be switching to a pump with a continuous glucose monitor soon. On a good day I test my blood, give myself the correction bolus if needed, calculate how many carbs I am gonna eat, then bolus for that. I don't really follow a diet and pretty much eat what I want. Only exercise I get is at work. I work around food at one of my jobs so that makes it hard. When I was 5, I was thirsty and peeing constantly. My mom kept giving me juice and then brought me to the doctor. I'm type 1, so this may not apply if you're type 2. Type 2 is more diet and exercise. I couldn't gain weight if I tried.

I have the Diabetes run rampant in my family.

Every year at work it's mandatory to do a Health Risk Assessment so I get a battery of tests done and I have remained in the Pre-Diabetic range.  Someone classified as a Diabetic would need to have a Blood Glucose level of 125 or high after fasting.  A normal range is a glucose level under 100.  For about a decade or more my fasted glucose is between 111-118.  It's a bit high but it's been pretty consistent.

I really should go to a Dr. and talk with them because for a while a friend gave me his old monitoring kit so I'd take my levels an hour after eating and I'd be sky high.  

If you think your at risk or your borderline take some steps to head it off.  If you're overweight lose a few pounds.  If you're not real active go out for a brisk walk daily.  

One other random thing that there have been some studies shown to make improvements in glucose levels is Cinnamon.  While the results of testing on this are a bit mixed, fuck cinnamon is awesome so make yourself a slice of toast with a bit of butter and a bunch of cinnamon on it.  

At least 2 on here. Other guy has it in his name I think. I'm a terrible role model. I have a pump and am going to be switching to a pump with a continuous glucose monitor soon. On a good day I test my blood, give myself the correction bolus if needed, calculate how many carbs I am gonna eat, then bolus for that. I don't really follow a diet and pretty much eat what I want. Only exercise I get is at work. I work around food at one of my jobs so that makes it hard. When I was 5, I was thirsty and peeing constantly. My mom kept giving me juice and then brought me to the doctor. I'm type 1, so this may not apply if you're type 2. Type 2 is more diet and exercise. I couldn't gain weight if I tried.

Damn Type 1 Diabetes is definitely rough.  I don't envy you at all.

If you're (original poster) just now showing symptoms of diabetes then you'd most likely have type 2 diabetes which is much easier to control.

My endo says I'm diabetic (type 2) but every time I test my blood it's between 80-105, so I really have no idea. I have Hashimoto's which affects my metabolism and my weight so I'm not really sure what's going on. I've been dieting for nearly two years and my A1C only recently has been elevated so it doesn't make sense to me at all.

My endo says I'm diabetic (type 2) but every time I test my blood it's between 80-105, so I really have no idea. I have Hashimoto's which affects my metabolism and my weight so I'm not really sure what's going on. I've been dieting for nearly two years and my A1C only recently has been elevated so it doesn't make sense to me at all.

If your fasting glucose is in under 125 you still may be Type 2 diabetic.  After you eat a meal if you test your blood glucose and it's above 200 then that also would classify you as a diabetic.  

This thread has made me want to head over to my works in plant Nurse practitioner today so I can get tested.  Mostly so I can get the test kit. 

If your fasting glucose is in under 125 you still may be Type 2 diabetic.  After you eat a meal if you test your blood glucose and it's above 200 then that also would classify you as a diabetic.  

This thread has made me want to head over to my works in plant Nurse practitioner today so I can get tested.  Mostly so I can get the test kit. 

No, fasting was 80. After a meal was 105.

I am Type 1. Diagnosed at the age of 12, am 28 now. It takes some adjusting but it doesn't make life any more unlivable. Eat healthy, test sugars, see the doctor twice a year, exercise or do physical activity whenever possible. I just went to an eye appointment where I was told that my eyes show no signs of diabetes. I guess at the end of the day just take care of yourself and make the necessary adjustments. It's very difficult at first, but not something that should make you feel too limitless!

I am a type 1, my 10 year anniversary is this june. My situation is almost identical to Konk. My wife stays on me pretty hard but all in all i am not very good when it comes to eating right or exercise. I do the Tour De Cure every year, but not much more. However, I have to go to the doctor quarterly. not twice a year. Probably a product of not the best diabetes management. 

Type 1 here, my 7th anniversary is coming up in June. For me it was triggered by a flu I had in 6th grade which resulted in a few months of constant thirst/peeing and I ended up in the hospital for the entire last week of school. I got a little bit lazy about it in early high school but I'm trying to get a better grip on it while I'm young... but on the bright side my sugars for the past couple months have been the best they've ever been.

I'm still doing individual insulin injections, I've thought about the pump but the idea of having it constantly embedded in me kind of skeeves me out (and admittedly I'd be worried about it at shows since I'm usually in GA with people pushing and shoving everywhere). Still deciding whether I'd like the "freedom" of single injections vs. the better control of the pump. My A1C is usually in the low 8 range and my goal is to get it below 8 for now.

I wouldn't worry about that. As long as the tube isn't hanging out, you'd be fine. Plus, if it rips out, it's not really a big deal. Unless you don't have an extra infusion set. My mom's excuse was that I was on the swim team. That's a bunch of bullshit though. I blame her for not being a better mom when it came to my diabetes, but most of my problems are my own fault.

• 5 months later...

Just an update. I got the new pump I guess around the time this thread was active, but just started using the continuous glucose monitor. It's pretty fucking sweet! It tells me exactly what my blood sugar is 24/7 and alerts me when I get too high or low or need to test to calibrate it. Don't know why I waited so long.