Anyone own KEF LS50's?

I've been flirting with upgrading my speakers for a while now.  I have the search narrowed down to KEF LS50's and KEF R300's.  I've went to a local shop and listened to both and they both sound great, however they both seem to have some drawbacks.  The R300's have more bass however they miss the air and life that the LS50's have.  I can get a barely used pair of LS50's locally for $975 and I was wondering how well the LS50's would do rock (punk, hardcore, post hardcore, indie, etc) without a subwoofer.  

I run Kef LS50s, my amp is a Rogue Cronus Magnum II and my turntable is a Vpi Scout with a 2m black cartridge. The Kef LS50s sound absolutely incredible under this setup - amazingly clear mids and highs with bass that makes you wonder if you accidentally turned your subwoofer on. I listen to tons of electronic/rock/indie/folk/whatever and these speakers can do it all. They run circles around any other speaker when properly driven, this includes the R300 which I auditioned. If you can put a quality source and power to the LS50s, they won't leave you wanting for more. 

They would, but it seems like it would be in poor taste knowing that if I liked the LS50's I'd be buying them from someone else.  I think I'm just going to buy them tomorrow.

That was my first thought, would they not get closer to the price you can get them for with a bit of pushing after a home demo?

That was my first thought, would they not get closer to the price you can get them for with a bit of pushing after a home demo?

I'm still in price negotiations with the seller, but I'll be getting at least $525 off list and no tax.  They may have offered me the demos at maybe $150 off list.  

I picked these up yesterday late and set them up and listened to maybe an hour of music.  So far I'm kind of meh about them. 

I just realized that they're 8 ohm and I have them hooked up to the 4 ohm outputs on my amp, so fixing that may help.   I'm not sure how broken in these are. Supposed they weren't used much.  Maybe they need to be broken in more.  I thought my out-of-the-box Monitor Audio RX1's sounded horrible until they broke in fully.  I dunno.  

• 3 weeks later...

I picked these up yesterday late and set them up and listened to maybe an hour of music. So far I'm kind of meh about them.

I just realized that they're 8 ohm and I have them hooked up to the 4 ohm outputs on my amp, so fixing that may help. I'm not sure how broken in these are. Supposed they weren't used much. Maybe they need to be broken in more. I thought my out-of-the-box Monitor Audio RX1's sounded horrible until they broke in fully. I dunno.

Have you had anymore listening/break in time?

Have you had anymore listening/break in time?

I have.  They've either started to grow on me or continued to break in or both as I enjoy them more now than on the first few listens.  There are things I like about them and things I don't.  One of these days I'm going to A/B them with the RX1's and make a decision on which I like more.

I have.  They've either started to grow on me or continued to break in or both as I enjoy them more now than on the first few listens.  There are things I like about them and things I don't.  One of these days I'm going to A/B them with the RX1's and make a decision on which I like more.

Always a good idea, I never let anything go until I've A/B tested it with what it's supposed to replace and if the new item doesn't win the test I keep the old item.