Hidden Gem Record Stores?

Nothing much happens in the armpit of the universe (Phoenix)  but we have 2 stores I really like:

Stinkweeds records (mostly new stuff leaning toward Wilco and stuff like that although they have began carrying more of what I like). The owner was the drummer for a showgaze band in the late 80's and seems to know many people (Sharon Jones, the Wilco guy and others seem to stop by when in town)

The Record Room (has a pretty good punk/post punk and dub selection). I always find good stuff there.

12 minutes ago, Monastic_mike said:

Nothing much happens in the armpit of the universe (Phoenix)  but we have 2 stores I really like:

Stinkweeds records (mostly new stuff leaning toward Wilco and stuff like that although they have began carrying more of what I like). The owner was the drummer for a showgaze band in the late 80's and seems to know many people (Sharon Jones, the Wilco guy and others seem to stop by when in town)

The Record Room (has a pretty good punk/post punk and dub selection). I always find good stuff there.

Stinkweeds is really hit and miss for me, I have found some great shit but when it is weak it's really weak for me. I tend to buy my new stock at Zia since there's those 20% off survey coupons (really fucking dumb, can't imagine they make much money on the sales but whatever) so I hunt for used. Record Room is great, but the guy who used to own (co-own?) the store sold it and now has a bin of his stuff at Mike's (Double Nickel) in Tempe. Found some insane misprices at the Zias out here, but that's par for the course. Hate shopping there  but prices and trade counter fails mean I have to. 

22 minutes ago, Monastic_mike said:

I went to a pretty damn cool punk/metal shop that was right by Disney but I can't for the life of me remember the name. Snagged a pile of solid titles for cheap.

Rhino Records in Claremont CA was always a good spot for me, though I haven't been in a few years...

Often times I find the best used records at used book shops... they aren't as picked through, they're never too expensive and all the scenesters are at the record shops leaving the book stores to old farts like me.

Edited by El Pee

28 minutes ago, Holo said:

Stinkweeds is really hit and miss for me, I have found some great shit but when it is weak it's really weak for me. I tend to buy my new stock at Zia since there's those 20% off survey coupons (really fucking dumb, can't imagine they make much money on the sales but whatever) so I hunt for used. Record Room is great, but the guy who used to own (co-own?) the store sold it and now has a bin of his stuff at Mike's (Double Nickel) in Tempe. Found some insane misprices at the Zias out here, but that's par for the course. Hate shopping there  but prices and trade counter fails mean I have to. 

I don't disagree. I seem to have better luck at the Zia's on Thunderbird (where most of my teens was spent but I rarely hit Zia's anymore). I live a mile from the Camelback store and it always seems to be picked over. I haven't yet been to Double Nickels but I want to. I'm hoping some of these shops will have someone knowledgeable in Dub. I read and buy a lot and some of it is terrible but I'm ready to progress past the Lee Scratch Perry and King Tubby phase.

Also, Stinkweeds is like 100 yards from my front door so we (my daughter and I) end up there for RSD.

43 minutes ago, Monastic_mike said:

I don't disagree. I seem to have better luck at the Zia's on Thunderbird (where most of my teens was spent but I rarely hit Zia's anymore). I live a mile from the Camelback store and it always seems to be picked over. I haven't yet been to Double Nickels but I want to. I'm hoping some of these shops will have someone knowledgeable in Dub. I read and buy a lot and some of it is terrible but I'm ready to progress past the Lee Scratch Perry and King Tubby phase.

Also, Stinkweeds is like 100 yards from my front door so we (my daughter and I) end up there for RSD.

Gotcha, I hardly make it to that end of the world, I'm over in the Ocotillo area. Thunderbird Zia was cool, but it's like an hour away. Went with @DOMAN127 when he was out here visiting after the Appleseed Castle show at the Rebel Lounge

*cast not castle

Edited by Holo