credit cards

That Southwest card used to have some crazy sign up bonus of 60k miles with little or no spending requirement.  I think you just had to use the card once.  I believe I converted the miles into Amazon gift cards, but you get more mileage (pun!) if you use them on flights.

Not sure what Southwest's program is like these days as I do not travel for work nearly as often, but the goal used to be to get enough points to get the free companion flight for a year. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the trick is gaming Chase into issuing you another one of their Southwest rewards cards. They have different versions, but they generally won't issue more than one at a time. The easiest way around for some people is to get a personal and a business version.

From that point, getting another 10k is pretty easy.

a-list is 35,000 points and companion pass is 110,000, I don't ever see myself getting the companion pass but that would be AWESOME.

I'm telling you, sign up for the rapid rewards dining program.

Also you could get the companion pass. You'd have to sign up for the business version of the card then you'd have 104,000 miles after spend requirements for both cards. Then just spend another 6g on either of the cards or combined and you'll hit 110k RR points and should have the companion pass

If you're in the game your not wasting a hard pull on a retail card.

I had a friend who used to sign up for cards, that have great signup bonuses (spend 3k in 3 months for 50k points) he would use the card to order 3k of dollar coins from the U.S. mint (they were trying to push these into circulation, so they shipped for free). He would then call his bank and tell them he had a large coin deposit. He'd then used the coins he just orders on his CC to pay it off and suddenly have ~$400 in airline travel or hotel stays. This was before the mint started capping orders and when CC issuers stopped counting purchases from the Mint towards the required spend. The days....

Sometimes you can get by with buying gift cards, but a lot of banks will take adverse action if they catch you manufacturing spending. It's a really gray area, so I wouldn't buy just GCs to meet spending requirements

Sometimes you can get by with buying gift cards, but a lot of banks will take adverse action if they catch you manufacturing spending. It's a really gray area, so I wouldn't buy just GCs to meet spending requirements

I used to do Vanilla Reloads but retailers stopped allowing CC's to be used for purchasing.