credit cards

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use my CC a LOT and I don't get points and its bullshit and I want to switch to a bank / card that will actually benefit me. I'm currently BOA but I don't really have any ties to it.

To those of you who use cards, which do you have and do you find the rewards worthwhile?

Wells Fargo. We have no annual fee credit cards with cash rewards or normal rewards. Holla

Edit: Also most of time there is at least 9 months of 0% interest rate

I actually have a BofA credit card that does the point thing. I have all of my bills automatically withdrawn from that card, and I just pay it off every month. Free money. Credit unions offer the same type of card. Go on credit karma and see what credit cards would benefit you, then take what they suggest and see if your bank offers something comparable.

OP it depends. What do you want? Airline miles? Hotel miles? Cash back? Points to use with retailers ?

I get a TON of benefits out of my Chase Sapphire Preferred, but I travel a lot and use the points mostly for air travel (no foreign transaction fees) and take advantage of the point earning structure rather aggressively.

If you want something without a fee

Check out the Chase Freedom card. There are usually offers for $100 (basically 10000 chase ultimate rewards points) plus you earn 1pt per dollar and quarterly you earn 5pt/$1 in specific earning categories

If you fly a particular airline more than other consider enrolling in a dining program. Since around March of this year I've earned 3k American Airline miles dining at places I normally would. There's no cost to join the program either which is pretty great. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Great reading material

www.thepointsguy.com

Discusses a lot of CC options. Mostly travel and cash back related. Specific retailer cards aren't worth it IMO.

"Benefits" are more of a marketing point than a useful tool. For example; I use my AMEX card pretty regularly and have maybe accumulated a total of $5 in rewards points, which I have no clue how to redeem. The only positive perk to having a credit card in general is gaining a good credit score which you'll need when you want to purchase a home or vehicle. I wouldn't look too much into reward programs since they're pretty useless, especially for your an average working class stiff like myself.

"Benefits" are more of a marketing point than a useful tool. For example; I use my AMEX card pretty regularly and have maybe accumulated a total of $5 in rewards points, which I have no clue how to redeem. The only positive perk to having a credit card in general is gaining a good credit score which you'll need when you want to purchase a home or vehicle. I wouldn't look too much into reward programs since they're pretty useless, especially for your an average working class stiff like myself.

Useless? I haven't paid full price for air travel since spring 2014.

Although this isn't for everyone, maximizing rewards can be tricky for some to remember.

bank of america just rolled out a new program with points. Its hard to find one that doesnt offer something. I use chase freedom and it does 1% all the time and each quarter has certain things that get you 5% (gas,grocceries,amazon,etc). It adds up quick if you utilize those companies they have deals with. If you are looking for a big purchase and time to pay it off look for the long no interest period ones, but beware of the rate after. Some rates are insane because they give you all that time to pay it off

Useless? I haven't paid full price for air travel since spring 2014.

Although this isn't for everyone, maximizing rewards can be tricky for some to remember.

Did you skip the part where I said, "if you're a working class stiff"? I take my ass to work and then home. Not Bangladesh. Not Bayonne, New Jersey. ;)

The points shouldnt be the end all for it. Interest rate they charge should be. You dont want to get 3% back and then fall behind on bills and dig a huge hole because they are charging 25% on interest and you cant catch up. Also one CC should be your goal unless you have work expenses that are tax deductable or refundable by your company. Then a second one is a goood way to keep the records clean.

Did you skip the part where I said, "if you're a working class stiff"? I take my ass to work and then home. Not Bangladesh. Not Bayonne, New Jersey. ;)

I am a working class guy too, I still have $30k+ in student loans, but I maximize the benefits that my CC's have to their fullest extent.  It gets as nutty as booking a rewards flight with British Airways because it will push to American Airlines and cost me half the price that it would with AA. 

I charge everything and pay off my card at the end of the month.  I leverage signup bonuses and spend accelerators.  Its not for everyone, but if you're up for it, it can be very rewarding.

The points shouldnt be the end all for it. Interest rate they charge should be. You dont want to get 3% back and then fall behind on bills and dig a huge hole because they are charging 25% on interest and you cant catch up. Also one CC should be your goal unless you have work expenses that are tax deductable or refundable by your company. Then a second one is a goood way to keep the records clean.

obviously if you're not paying off your balance every month, that's a completely different story.

obviously if you're not paying off your balance every month, that's a completely different story.

Yeah, you shouldnt have a CC then.

In regards to interest rate, retail store CC's have some of the highest Interest rates out there, and because of that they'll give them to almost anyone. OP it really depends on your situation. What do you want, do you pay off monthly, or carry a balance, do you travel internationally? Domestically?

I agree with the above statement that it depends what kind of rewards you are looking for. To me, airline cards are the most suitable because I like to travel. My Southwest card and American Airlines card both came with signup bonuses that was enough points for 2 round trip tickets (total of 4 round trips between the two cards). 

I agree with the above statement that it depends what kind of rewards you are looking for. To me, airline cards are the most suitable because I like to travel. My Southwest card and American Airlines card both came with signup bonuses that was enough points for 2 round trip tickets (total of 4 round trips between the two cards). 

Vinnybod, check out the British Airways card from Chase.  I used the Avios to travel from LA to NYC and it costs 12,500k (where as the same flight on AA costs 20-30k AAdvantage points) and it ends up being on AA anyways.  Then I call AA and add my AAdvantage to the booking and get the benefits the  AA CC offers (priority boarding and one checked bag).   Also the short haul flights are pretty clutch too, the cost is much lower than what AA charges.   Just something to consider. 

Also, really if you guys want to rack up airline miles check out the dining programs that the major US airlines participate in.  

American Airlines Dining Program https://aa.rewardsnetwork.com/

Southwest Dining Program https://www.rapidrewardsdining.com/

United Dining Program https://dining.mileageplus.com/

Delta Dining Program https://skymiles.rewardsnetwork.com/

Yeah, you shouldnt have a CC then.

In regards to interest rate, retail store CC's have some of the highest Interest rates out there, and because of that they'll give them to almost anyone. OP it really depends on your situation. What do you want, do you pay off monthly, or carry a balance, do you travel internationally? Domestically?

32 years old....literally NO credit...no debt though

Tried to get one via Macy's for our couch we bought in February and got denied....had to go through the lady. I sincerely HATE credit system. I've never been late on a single payment of anything in my life (lived on my own for 14 years now and had multiple bills in my name since then). I pay everything on time. But I make almost no money (even working two jobs) so nobody will give me a card.

My "graduation present" from high school was the vehicle I'm still driving....which my father told me I was responsible for half the cost of....which at the time seemed fair and logical. Older now....pretty fucking pissed off that I paid for half of a vehicle but wasn't a signee on the bill so I received no credit what so ever for it (even more pissed off that I can't get my dad to sign the fucking thing over to me 14 years later either.....been paying insurance on it for 14 years under my name).

I know life isn't fair, but I find it insanely frustrating that having never missed a payment on any bill in 14 years despite how little money I make basically means nothing in America. If my vehicle eats shit I'm basically S.O.L. because I don't have credit OR money upfront.

I would recommend going for the combination of the Discover it and the Chase Freedom with their rotating 5% categories. The quarterly categories are usually different (with the exception of this quarter, they're both Amazon), so you should be able to use both cards pretty frequently. Like Twistedshabazz mentioned, you also get 1% back on everything not in the rotating categories. 

Discover was running a double cashback promotion, essentially making the it card a 10% category/2% everywhere card, but I'm not sure if that's still going on. And if you're into Apple Pay, they were running a promotion where if you used Apple Pay for your Discover it card, you would get 10% back (20% if you were enrolled in the double cashback promo)

Since you only get 1% back on everything not listed in the rotating categories, I like to pair those with the Citi Double Cash. You get 1% on purchases, and 1% on payments, so it is basically a 2% cash back on everything card if you pay in full.

One other good thing about the Discover it and the Citi Double Cash is that they provide a true FICO score to you each month. Discover's score is a Transunion score, while Citi's score is an Equifax score. The Blue Cash card that Tardcore mentioned provides an Experian FICO score. It's pretty helpful to have those 3 cards, so you won't have to pay for a score with any monitoring website like myFico. 

All of the cards listed above have no annual fee. The Blue Cash card comes in 2 varieties, the Everyday and the Preferred. The BCE has no annual fee, but you only get 3% at grocery stores and 2% at gas stations, as opposed to the 6% and 3% respectively on the BCP. The BCP does come with a $75 annual fee, so depending on your spending patterns, it might be more wise to go with the BCE to maximize your rewards. 

Any of these cards can be attained with an average credit score. I would check with Credit Karma first to get a ballpark of what your score is around. I would say if CK shows you at 680+ on both bureaus for their scoring model you should be good to apply for these cards.

Oh, and if anyone wants a referral to Discover it, Chase Sapphire Preferred, or the Blue Cash Everyday, send me a PM and we can both make money