I want to buy a nice bike.

Guest falloutcollapse

I love road bikes but they can be more expensive than mountain bikes. I'd go with a fixie if I was getting a new bike, they're cheaper and you can do tricks and shit on them. Also, wear a helmet. Spend more on a nice looking one, if you care about looks. Make sure to get lights too, if you're going to ride at night ever.

call city hall and ask to talk to somebody who deals with bikes... a friend of mine works for the city bike initiative and bikes that are impounded or left laying around or have been stolen and the cops get them go to the city. normally they distribute the bikes to universities and under privelidged kids but its never a problem if somebody phones and asks to pick one of them up.

it might need a new chain or seat or something but that shit is cheap

I have a Bianchi Boardwalk, and it's a great bike. Good compromise between mountain and road, and it's suuuuper light. I don't know how much it truly costs though, as my dad's got bike industry hookups. It doesn't look like it's made anymore either. But I've ridden nothing but Bianchis for a while, and they're good bikes.

call me old fashioned, but i have a mountain bike from ~10 years ago, it's not my preferred ride, as that one, which is ~25-30 years old, is in a friends garage and more of a "performance" bike, if you will.

i guess i just don't get all the craze for paying out the ass for a nice bike if you aren't going to use it properly, this is of course a huge generalization, but it just seems like this bike craze has gotten out of control. you don't need a fixed gear bike to ride to work, and if you are using it as alternative transportation to go in a <5 mile radius, you might as well just save yourself a few grand and buy a shitty bike that works well until you decide that investing the money is worth it.

i don't know, i just don't understand why everyone is so crazy about bikes, and quick to spend so much on them, when most of the people i know can barely ride a bike, nor do they use them real frequently. i see lots of bikes in houses.

i ride a hybrid bike which is a mix between a mountain bike and a road bike. the tires are skinnier than mountain bike ones but thicker than road so you can get going somewhat fast and be worried about hitting a rock and losing control. it's pretty nice for what i paid, i bought it new for i think only 300 and it gets me to class everyday.