New Sony Hi-Res Turntable/"ripper"

I don't think it looks that bad but that's price dependant of course.

Mind you I can't help thinking that the band wagon's gathering speed at quite a pace now so how many more will try and jump on before it crashes into a fiery mess of cheap Chinese plastic?

I bet it'll cost quite a bit for no reason.

We shall see. I'm sure some older companies will jump back on soon too. Hanpin must be loving it

Feels like a lot of these companies are eyeing the high-end market without any understanding of what drives the segment.  IE quality over features.

ripping vinyl to digital might seem like a really good idea to a buyer in the $150 turntable market, but somebody looking at a mid-range or higher turntable is far more likely to understand that you are far better off just spending your money on a turntable that does turntabley things as well as it possibly can and then simply using one of the many external devices that convert audio to digital (even as basic as a standard PC) to record.

I don't really see them cracking even the $500+ market with a device like this. Panasonic will get away with it because of the history behind the Technics SL1200, but Sony has done a pretty good job of running their brand name into the ground.

Feels like a lot of these companies are eyeing the high-end market without any understanding of what drives the segment.  IE quality over features.

To be fair that was the issue first time round regarding Far Eastern as opposed to European high end. There is and always has been a philosophy of cram it full of stuff rather then make it do the one thing it's supposed to do really well, and it got worse as the years went on, Sony though to their credit were one of the few mainstream far eastern companies that did start to get it toward the end of HiFi's golden age but by then they were well into making BPC products and it was too late

ripping vinyl to digital might seem like a really good idea to a buyer in the $150 turntable market, but somebody looking at a mid-range or higher turntable is far more likely to understand that you are far better off just spending your money on a turntable that does turntabley things as well as it possibly can and then simply using one of the many external devices that convert audio to digital (even as basic as a standard PC) to record.

I don't really see them cracking even the $500+ market with a device like this. Panasonic will get away with it because of the history behind the Technics SL1200, but Sony has done a pretty good job of running their brand name into the ground.

What gets me about this, is you can record to hi-res flac/dsd without a table for it. You just need a good soundcard/ADC. I guess this is for people who are too cheap to have separate components, but this will never be as good as a nice table and a nice input source.

I get annoyed when people try to make vinyl convenient.  all these clowns trying Sonos-ify their turntable so they can stream it underwater or whatever.  what a waste of time.  Digital isn't bad.

Digital is fine with me, I listen to it a ton. It's more trendy to spin your records and stream them across your over priced sonos system!

Horses for Courses. I wouldn't try and take my records on the train and set up a portable turntable or have a turntable in my car but I will have loads of digital files on a convenient device in that situation, It's a wondrous advancement in audio convenience and a great way to store a huge library of music. And if I really want to listen to that music I will turn my valves on wait for them to warm up, pour myself a drink whilst waiting, get comfy and put a record on, and then get up to turn it over for side 2, and then at the end of side 2 get another drink and select another record. Two totally different situations requiring two totally different means of replaying music when neither is bad or wrong just better suited to the right environment.

But yes I have to agree when I read someone talking about Sonosifying (nice word) their turntable I put my disappointed Dad face on and have to hold back from saying F.F.S. WHY, really just WHY. Which part of this simple situation are you not grasping? You really are missing the point, and then back to disappointed Dad face

• 2 weeks later...