Technics 1200 speed issue

By all means try it as yes it could just be a dirty slider but that is for much older tables than your 1200 and the slider failing is the usual cause on a 1200.

Did you buy yours 2nd hand or new? If it was new and you don't change speed much then possibly as the gunk builds up under the contacts because it doesn't move much but does take a good 20 years to be a problem usually but if you bought it 2nd hand and it was used as a DJ table then I'll pretty much guarantee the slider needs to be replaced.

By all means try it as yes it could just be a dirty slider but that is for much older tables than your 1200 and the slider failing is the usual cause on a 1200.

Did you buy yours 2nd hand or new? If it was new and you don't change speed much then possibly as the gunk builds up under the contacts because it doesn't move much but does take a good 20 years to be a problem usually but if you bought it 2nd hand and it was used as a DJ table then I'll pretty much guarantee the slider needs to be replaced.

Thanks, bought it used at a pawn shop straight out of a DJ set up. 

Chances are you will need a new slider unit. it's a plug in unit so you can just buy one and replace it but obviously you have to take the turntable apart to do it and like I say if you can find someone who can solder you can just replace the pot itself rather than the pot, board, switch, led, cable etc which is a lot cheaper.

The last 1200 I had came that way, I tried to clean the pot which improved things for an hour or so then I just but the bullet and replaced the pot, the pot here in the UK is around £10 to £15 so around $20 ish and a whole unit is nearer $50

It's a very common failure with them.

I've heard a common problem with some Technics tables is that there is a chip inside that regulates the speed and when it goes bad the starting the platter makes it spin wildly fast and the speed is not effected by selecting the speed using the speed setting buttons.

That's a different fault. The OP has problems with the speed randomly changing and not locking on to sync, what you're describing is a failure of the motor control electronics which causes the motor to just spin at it's full speed no matter what

That's good news but keep on eye on it as it might be a sign that the fader is on the way out, if it does it again pretty soon then take it straight back

Yeah, they said if it had any issues again they'd only charge me for parts.

What shop did you take it to?

Beatlab in Little 5 Points